Crash when setting record format to mono

I don’t know when exactly this started because I know I’ve successfully recorded in mono before, but I just noticed a couple of days ago that I can’t record in mono. If I try to change my recording settings to mono, nTrack crashes as soon as I click the record button. It works fine when record in Stereo or Stereo->Two Mono Tracks.

I am recently updated to 4.1 build 1980. I don’t know if this problem happened then or when I switched from MME to WDM drivers or neither of the above.

Any ideas?

I just discovered that this only happens when I use WDM drivers. I went to the Creative Labs website and updated to the latest version of drivers for my device (SoundBlaster MP3+), but it still does the same thing. I don’t want to go back to MME drivers because then I get back to having sync problems when I have more than about 4 tracks :( .

Try going back to the Stereo>Two Mono Tracks option in your settings, and Click OK (closing the dialog box). Then go to the Record Vu Meters in the main window, left click on the red Record “LED”, and on the pop-up menu that appears Disable the Right channel- leaving the Left channel on to record to a new track.

You can also add two blank Audio tracks into the Timeline, and with the mouse disable the channel you don’t want- also clicking on the red Record LED. Be sure the one you want is “on”.

Now you are technically recording in Stereo>Two Mono, but with one disabled (at the next step down the chain, if you get what I mean).

Might work.

Quote (Sloom @ Dec. 05 2005,16:36)
Try going back to the Stereo>Two Mono Tracks option in your settings, and Click OK (closing the dialog box). Then go to the Record Vu Meters in the main window, left click on the red Record “LED”, and on the pop-up menu that appears Disable the Right channel- leaving the Left channel on to record to a new track.

You can also add two blank Audio tracks into the Timeline, and with the mouse disable the channel you don’t want- also clicking on the red Record LED. Be sure the one you want is “on”.

Now you are technically recording in Stereo>Two Mono, but with one disabled (at the next step down the chain, if you get what I mean).

Might work.

Thanks for the workaround. I actually discovered this not long before reading your post. I hate workarounds for things that should work but don’t. But hey, it’s a workable solution, so I guess I’ll have to go with it for now…

Thanks.

I can’t get the latest build to record ANYTHING unless ALL inputs are enabled. Disable just one lousy channel and BANG! Crash city. Maybe n-Track should come with airbags?

D

Anyone have a copy of a recent pre-1980 build laying around?

I have 1976… want it?

Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 05 2005,18:54)
I can't get the latest build to record ANYTHING unless ALL inputs are enabled. Disable just one lousy channel and BANG! Crash city. Maybe n-Track should come with airbags?

D

Even if disabled from the main window?
Quote (Sloom @ Dec. 05 2005,23:07)
I have 1976... want it?

Sure. I'd like to give it a try and see if I have the same problem with it.

I’m at the library, just out of work. Lemme get home, and get the sheetrock dust off my head, and I’ll e-mail it to you.

Quote (Sloom @ Dec. 05 2005,23:08)
Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 05 2005,18:54)
I can't get the latest build to record ANYTHING unless ALL inputs are enabled. Disable just one lousy channel and BANG! Crash city. Maybe n-Track should come with airbags?

D

Even if disabled from the main window?

I'm not sure, I only deselcted them with Hammer icon on the Rec Vu meter. It does the same with either soundcard in my PC. The EMU 1820M or the SoundMax built-in. On the SoundMax if choose Do Not Record from this channel on either Left or Right channels... CRASH! Leave 'em both enabled and it records fine.

D -- gettin' frustrated with n. Been using it for years now but...

You using two soundcards? The prevailing word on that is that two soundcards is not a reliable way to go.

Also, try, from the main window, clicking on the red Record LED below the Vu meters, and disable the channels you don’t want to use from there.

I use a Tascam US-428 (did I mention that?), and there are two pairs of inputs indicated in the Audio Devices dialog box. I only hilight the first pair of inputs (using WDM drivers), click “OK”, then go to the main window and disable the right side of the remaining pair of inputs from the red LED.

Hopefully you won’t have me standing in line behind you in another day or so!

Written to Flavio?..