critique wanted please?

Good observation Phoo. I noticed this myself. Standing and playing my Alvarez it doesn’t seem loud enough to bother anyone watching TV or conversing or whatever… One day my son had it and was banging away and I thought, “Holy Moly that thing sounds GOOD and is LOUD!” You do indeed need someone to play while you look for the right mic(s) location or vice-versa. A real ear opener that was…

D

Try this: put the mic up by your ears. Seriously. ???

Quote: (TomS @ May 02 2008, 8:19 PM)

? erm....yep ok?! :whistle:

Ange x
Quote: (ange @ May 03 2008, 3:11 AM)

Quote: (TomS @ May 02 2008, 8:19 PM)

? erm....yep ok?! :whistle:

Ange x

oh, you really were serious, hehe, ok! giving it a go thanx x

Yes - it works much better with a couple of condensors - but think about it - that’s what you hear when you are playing - so why not? (It’s not my idea, obviously, I read it somewhere, perhaps at the tapeop forum - which is a place you might enjoy visitng - lots of really talented recordists there - and a free magazine mailed to your door every month that is entirely amazing - www.tapeop.com )

Hi Ange: First of all, bravo for the vocals, I love them, specially the harmonies in the chorus(are all voices yours?)don’t touch them. To make the song more interesting (commercially speaking) I would add soft bass guitar (real) & drums from 0.34 second verse as well as some very soft strings (violins, cello, flute, switching sounds on chorus). Later on I would add arpeggios with a very clean and bright electric guitar (strat kind) maybe with a little flanger. The basic guitar I hear is a little muddy, just boost up the mid eq control and boost volume in the E dominant chord at the end of verse, try replacing the D chord in verse for an F#- when repeating the phrase. Also i would record the basic guit again on a new track and double it and pan one left & the other right. Experiment
:)