Current Mix

v5 Test Project

This project has been in progress sense early January 2006…I have not been producing any tracks after that project…

Shame on Me.

From time-to-time I have been bringing this project forward through the Versions and builds as Flavio has posted them…

I consider it a work-in-progress… I would like to get a couple of electric guitar tracks (Backing/beds) and a track to Fill-and-Compliment the Dobro/Steel/and Right-Hand Keys for and as overdubs…

As well, I hear some harmony and backing vocals, (Male and or Female) tracks in all the right places… I’m working on where to place these tracks

At the Get-Go, I planned to do the tracking here, but the Lexicon CORE-32 audio hardware is just not working as I’d like to see it behave…

Current v5 Test Project

I’m considering posting this request on the Artist Collaboration Board… Anyway, it may be something I can complete as the fall comes on… We’ll see… Also, it’s a project that never had any real drums on the bed tracks…

I was hoping to use what drum tracks that’s there to build and Trigger a Sample Kit for the song…

If you are interested in this flavor of music I would be interested in your comments and what you think might help this song come to life…

Bill…

Bill,

That’s gonna be a pretty tune when you’re done. You’re exactly right…it needs a guitar rhythm track to add some body and strength and for my tastes it needs a fiddle to offset the steel. The 2 best sounds…a fiddle and steel!

Wonderfully clean and crisp too. Can’t wait to hear it when it’s finished!

KingFish

Thank you for your encouragements… KingFish:
This is one of many that was started on the Tascam 38 machine we used . It goes back to the early '90’s I have stacks of 15" reels of tape full of that stuff… In fact, the Tascam-38 still works like a charm… The only thing is the tape is hard to come by and if you can get it … It costs a fortune… I know you can “Clean” the tracks off the tape and use it again… but do I ever hate doing that…

There are a few “Southern Fiddle” players around here… But it’s almost impossible to interest them to add a track to a 10 year old project… It’s hard to beat a tasty Fiddle and Steel line… The project was started with a Roland Drummer… so, I think the meter should be consistent… ??? Even if it ain’t, it can be “slipped-and-slided”… I think…

The Steel and Dobro Player was my life long friend… His health got the better of him and he Left us Two years ago this month… What a shame for him… He is missed by everyone around these parts…

Technically, the tracks were captuered to the hard drive at 24-bit reselution… After that they have been edited with n-Track with a few plugs… Not much, though…

It’s like… the more you work on them the more you screw them up… Well, that’s what Leonard used to say…

Bill…

Eyup!

Ya know Bill, I think I’m a closet country fan. I reckon to be an old rocker, but I just love the sound of a steel guitar.
I agree with kingfish, it does need a little fat, and I think the steel, lovely though it is overpowers the vocals a little.

Steve

Hi Beefy Steve:
I’m playing with that steel track as I reply to your post. If you listen closely at the opening intro line, Leonard Intros his own opening line … It’s where he initally “Grabs” the strings… I’ve expanded the timeline of his track and removed the intro he made to the “First Note” of the opening …

Leonard’s steel guitar idol was maybe Paul Franklin and Leonard’s son, Bobby… It would be a toss-up as to who would top his list…

If Leonard were alive today and listened to what I’ve done to his intro we would have a pitched battle over this… He’d probably get his way but only after we argued over the crumbs… However, he ain’t here… Good for me… Cause I’d be smartin’ over my ideas and words…

If I could get these guitar lines added to the tracks, on the timeline, it would tame the steel track down … I think it’s just sittin’ where it is cause there isn’t and any tracks for the steel line to play off… of…

The guitar sound I think I’m hearing on this is a Gibson ES-175 or ES-355 or maybe a Chet Atkins Nashville type guitar… Well… a semi-hollow with “F” holes type guitar…

I’ll post the new intro and up to the vocal start… It’ll give you an idea of what I’m thinking of, to the opening Steel line, of his track… [EDIT]

Edited_Intro_091306

Compare the edited intro with the original link…

There’s a fellow n-Tracker down the street… In fact I believe there’s 4-5 n-Trackers around town now… I think he’s got a guitar like what I’m hearing… But I haven’t seen hide nor hair of him for ages… Then there’s this Southern fiddle player that I’ve known sense the early '60’s… In fact we did the tracks for two LP’s in Montreal in Nov. '64… Hey… we were only kids back then… I think I was 21… Life was so uncomplicated … then…

There’s a couple of places for the guitar lines and some kind of chord to cover the Steel Line going out of and at the end of the song… And some kind of harmony fiddle line to cover the steel line going into the vocal chorus line at the middle of the song… Well, all of those ideas need to be tracked and then tried, to see how they fit… As long as they don’t clutter the vocal… I even hear some Geordinaire << is that how their name is spelt?? Quartette/trio… In the chorus and vocal finish… Well… Am I full of energy… or what?/ :O :laugh:

Bill…

Hi Steve:
I was into the studio today to update those two DAW’s I have in there… So, while waiting to get them up to current standing I sync’d the files/hard drives of that song and put them on the P-4 timeline… The Yorkie powered monitors show what you are referring to with that Steel Guitar track… It’s some-what Out-Front… in the mix… Maybe, to fix that the track should have a bit of reverb on it. and Maybe delay the effect enough to put it back in the mix… Well, That’s what I’m thinking… You see, Leonard was the type that he’d get quite “Ugly” if you did anything like that to his Tracks…

He’d go outta the “Room” and I’d twiddle the knobs on his mix and when he’d return he’d look me in the face and asked me what I did to his mix? I don’t know how he did it… But he could always put his hands on the knobs I twisted… :O ??? :laugh: When we were young, he could smoke three packs a day… Maybe, that’s what helped his hearing… Who knows…??

Bill…