DC Offset or Drop Shadow?

I just upgraded from version 3.x to 6.0.8 and have a question.

In the wav file display it looks as if every track I record has a decent amount of DC Offset (looks as if the wav is just above the 0 line, and not originating from it).

I’ve tried the highpass filter built into NTrack’s parametric eq and it did nothing that I could see.

So I tried out Wavosaur (after doing a search through this forum’s archives, this program was mentioned a few times), and opened one of the offending files. No DC Offset!

Sooooo, is this a glitch, or just a drop shadow? And is there any way to turn off the drop shadow (if that’s what it is)?

Thank you!
Mike

I’m not certain that I am answering your question, however, therre has been some discussion about the way N_Track displays wave files when zoomed in ver close. There is no an apparent center line in the display and this bothers some users. This may be a cause for what you are seeing.

Thanks bax3!

I guess it’s just something I’ll have to get used to.

I’m still learning how to use all the new features and I’m liking them!

Mike

Yeah…the lack of a centerline really bugs me. I can’t imagine it’d be difficult to implement one.

Turn on Baseline and Outline in the waveform display options.

Quote: (phoo @ Feb. 02 2010, 10:45 AM)

Turn on Baseline and Outline in the waveform display options.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that.

Thanks phoo!

Mike

Turning on just baseline should be enough, but there might be a bit of an issue with that. The baseline didn’t show up until outline was on. Seemed a little odd.

:laugh:

Nice one Phoo.
Thought I’d link this artical for anyone (like me) who isn’t quite clear on the DC offset thingy.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/eq_dc_offset/

…already had 'em selected. No baseline.

After several seconds, the waveform fills in (becomes “solid” graphically), and adds a baseline, but that’s not what I’m after. And waiting a few seconds for it to appear’s not what I’m after, either.

I wonder if it’s an issue with my graphics card.

F

Hi TonyR:

Thanks for that link and the seminar/discussion on DC Offset in signals…
That’s a nice report…

Bill…