Delay in new track

Delay in new track

I am about to go crazy. I have recorded several songs in the last couple of years with N-track and most come off without a hitch… BUT Lately I will record maybe 1 to 8 tracks, then record a new track and it will be delayed a little bit in the playback. I never know until I am done and playing it back that this has happened. I can cut a little off the first part of the track and drag it around until it matches up with the rest of the song, I just don’t want to. It can do it with 2 tracks or a bunch. I can’t figure out why I can do a whole song with no problems and the next song might do it for three or four tracks. I have a 1.6 ghz celron processor with 128mb ram. I know this is slow, but it works some of the time. Any help would be appreciated

OK, if it worked before, and it doesn’t now, then something has changed.

What?

New OS? New version of n-track? Different hardware? New drivers, other software? What is different? :)

Ali

That is what is driving me crazy. This is a dedicated non-internet computer and I don’t change settings. I thought it might be something in the software. It is a 3 something version. I looked on this forum and seen some posts about lagging, but mine never hesitates when the recording starts. I only find it at playback. I have tried changing “snap to 0” and grid properties. The only reason for that was in an old song , the numbers in the grid properties were different than my new song. Other than that, I almost broke out my old analog 4-track.

Well, something has changed. :)

You’ve obviously done the “system timer” thing and the other n-track specific tweaks, so gotta look elsewhere perhaps.

What hardware do you have?

If you’re using SBLive/Audigy are you using 48k?

Do you have a VIA chipset on your mobo?

Try running Enditall or something similar to see if anything else is running in the background and stealing cycles.

And if all else fails, whack it with a big stick! :D

Ali

Or of course slide the track a little forward so it compensates for the delay. But see if you can make it stop delaying first.

Do you have any fx loaded on any of the tracks?

I find that if I have any fx loaded and N is compensating for the plugin latency if I rcord any subsequent tracks they weill be delayed by the amount of the latency N is compensating for.

I make sure all fx are turned off when I’m tracking.
Add fx after everything is recorded
Or freeze the tracks with the fx

HTH,
Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

I find that if I have any fx loaded and N is compensating for the plugin latency if I rcord any subsequent tracks they weill be delayed by the amount of the latency N is compensating for.

Especially if you are using SIR, with its massive fixed latency.

Rich, I think you may be on to something. I think that may the one thing that changes. That would be a reason that would expain why the inconsistency of the number of tracks would not make a difference. I will try that. Thanks for the idea. Terry

What is your soundcard setup?
I sometimes get delay effects, but I know my problem is that I use two seperate sound cards for multitrack recording and they do not sync up exactly (after about 10 minutes I’m a few samples off). For some reason, if I hit the stop button versus the pause button after each song, I’m fine. If I hit pause, the lag continues to grow song after song, or take after take.