Delay playing thru amp vst plugin

When i have tried to use one of these amp sim vst plugin things & play thru it live i always get a delay between me playing & me hearing me playing. I have never been able to sort this out.
I ahve a windows 98 system but its always been able to cope with upto 40 tracks & quite a few vst effects & aux chanels.
I’d really like to fix this. Could anyone tell me whats wrong please?

Tina

Welcome to latency. You need to set your buffers as low as they can go with out drop outs. ASIO drivers typically have the lowest latency. However, CPU speed has a lot to do with latency too (as does the DAW you are using).

But i dont have any latency Bubba when i record or playback normally, arent i going to screw things for myself up if i change the buffers?

Tina

There is always latency… you just haven’t noticed it until now. The MAudios have ASIO drivers which is good. (Make sure you are set to actually use ASIO). Before, you moved a volume control or whatever and it seemed to be instantaneous though there was perhaps 20ms of latency you didn’t notice. Now, the latency is front and center. You will only screw yourself if you start getting pops and crackles… pops and crackles mean the latency is set lower than the system can handle. Note I say “system” as there are lots of factors in determining how low you can get your latency. If you get pops and crackles, increase the latency until it goes away. If the latency is still at an unacceptable level, I have another method as to how to reduce it, but I will likely get stoned for bringing it up in public.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 21 2010, 1:17 PM)

I have another method as to how to reduce it, but I will likely get stoned for bringing it up in public.

Hayul mayyun... everybody here stoned anyhows... bring it on shrimperman... RAGHT NOW! (Whar'd I put ma' party licker?...?...?)

UJ

PS Dayyum man... how yer lak my abbtar? Wat the hayull issat thang anyhow? I ain' foolin' wi dat mess... Foun ma party licker baby... yeah yeah.

Next time you get banned can i suggest you come back as Unstoned Bronson!

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 21 2010, 1:57 PM)

Next time you get banned can i suggest you come back as Unstoned Bronson!

Nobody bans The Kang baybayyy... The Kang leaves when HE wants... (Party licker?)

UJ

Unstoned what exacly is your relationship with Unknown Hinson?

Tina

He’s had relations with Unknown Hinsen if that counts.

Whrn you use the “live” button you are listening to the playback with the effect engaged. This almost always adds latency, frequently enough to hear. For less latency, disengage the “live” button - you will hear the playback but without the added effects

Quote: (bax3 @ Oct. 21 2010, 5:25 PM)

Whrn you use the "live" button you are listening to the playback with the effect engaged.
This almost always adds latency, frequently enough to hear.
For less latency, disengage the "live" button - you will hear the playback but without the added effects

I thought it would be really good to use them like a real amp so i clould fiddle around with the settings as i played till i got what i want. Its very disapointing if you cant actualy do that!
I've got wdm drivers Bubba the asio ones gave me pops and crackles i couldnt get rid of!

Tina

Hi, Tina. You can, but you might need to up-grade your computer. Soz.

TinaM, whenever I use amp sims or any other vst’s for guitar I just record the DI’ed guitar raw, without any effects applied.

Then afterwards I start to meddle with what I got.

If you want to use them live I think you can have low enough latensy with wdm drivers, if your system is fast enough.

Oh well seems my old computers not up to it. Its windows 98, 1.24ghz, 1.5 gb RAM

varakeef, these vst amp things all sound dire when i use them on a clean recorded guitar, i’ve never found one that was actually any use & i began to wonder why they bothered making them. so i thought i might do better if i used them this way round, you know recording thru them.

Ok. For now, try reducing the demands on your system. Shut down any other plugs-ins, ‘freeze’ idle tracks, shut down screen savers, security, email and anything else you can think of. (there are free prg’s that will do this for you).
Do you have access to another pc that could be used as your amp/modeller?

Many people record everything dry ( without effects ) That gies you maximum ability to tweek the effects when you are doing you mixing. That is really one of the advantages of digital over analog - used to be the engineer had to add effect and EQ when the recording was made or live with the added noise ( tape hiss, mechanical noise, etc.) that comes from several generations of copied tape. Digital, tweek it as much as you want and there is vertually no added noise or degrading of the origional.
Bax

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 22 2010, 6:31 AM)

Ok. For now, try reducing the demands on your system. Shut down any other plugs-ins, 'freeze' idle tracks, shut down screen savers, security, email and anything else you can think of. (there are free prg's that will do this for you).
Do you have access to another pc that could be used as your amp/modeller?

because of the age of my computer vitually the only thing ive got running on it is ntrack!
Starting a new song it still sounds as bad.

We have a family pc downstairs tony, it has a better spec but its choc full of programs

Tina
Quote: (bax3 @ Oct. 22 2010, 11:49 AM)

Many people record everything dry ( without effects )
That gies you maximum ability to tweek the effects when you are doing you mixing.
That is really one of the advantages of digital over analog - used to be the engineer had to add effect and EQ when the recording was made or live with the added noise ( tape hiss, mechanical noise, etc.) that comes from several generations of copied tape.
Digital, tweek it as much as you want and there is vertually no added noise or degrading of the origional.
Bax

unfortunately this has never worked for me Bax, recording the guitar raw & adding some amp vst plugin always gives me a totally unusable tone, really harsh, treble all distorted. And i've got plenty of the things.

Tina

Get a dual boot system sorted on the one down stairs. Swap them round. Use the crap one for domestic use. You got an external drive?