Delta Asio 16 bit?

I’m using the delta66 with v3.3-24bit with the asio drivers. When using the asio drivers, it does not allow me to switch to 16 bit mode by clicking on the “hammer icon”. The problem doesn’t exist when using the wdm drivers. Any ideas??

I may be wrong but I think the ASIO portion of the drivers do 24 bits only (definitely true of some cards)…OR…they need to be switched to 16 bit in the soundcards mixer first, since ASIO settings (buffering and such) can not be changed from within n-Tracks. This is a design o ASIO and is not limited to the Delta. I’m guessing here.

Does that mean you can’t use asio drivers with n-track 16bit version?

I know with my EMU 1820M, the option to “Force 16 bit” is grayed out in n-Track when using ASIO. So yeah, I too think that is part of the ASIO driver scheme. It may be that some card vendors have a method to circumvent that to allow the driver full functionality at 16 bits. I don’t know. I DO know that in order to continue using n-Track, I HAD to upgrade to the 24 bit version as the EMU driver would not co-operate with “Force 16 bits”.

TG

Quote (mrhairy @ Oct. 03 2005,15:07)
Does that mean you can't use asio drivers with n-track 16bit version?

Check your Delta control panel and your card documentation.

TG
Quote (mrhairy @ Oct. 03 2005,10:44)
I'm using the delta66 with v3.3-24bit with the asio drivers. When using the asio drivers, it does not allow me to switch to 16 bit mode by clicking on the "hammer icon". The problem doesn't exist when using the wdm drivers. Any ideas??

You make this change in the delta control panel. Unlike WDM, ASIO changes to bit rate, buffers, etc happen at the level of the card and its drivers (or something like that), so they aren't made from within the program. You may have to shut down N, change to 16 bit in the control panel and then re-open it. The same holds if you want to reset the buffers up or down. At least that's my memory. I'v got a Delta 66 card, but I haven't dealt with this issue in a while.

Best,

KS

I’m pretty sure the delta driver’s control panel does not have a feature to select resolution. I know buffer size is there. Maybe someone has had success using their delta or audiophile card in n-track 16bit mode and can let me in on the secret :) .
I also ran into trouble trying using the asio4all driver with the 16bit version of N. hmmmm

Quote (mrhairy @ Oct. 03 2005,16:44)
I'm using the delta66 with v3.3-24bit with the asio drivers. When using the asio drivers, it does not allow me to switch to 16 bit mode by clicking on the "hammer icon". The problem doesn't exist when using the wdm drivers. Any ideas??

Which hammer icon? Use the one on the RECORDING vu, select 'Force 16 bits'. Works fine with my Delta. Why would you want to do this though? 24 bits is preferable.

-Daniel

Actually I was refering to one playback “hammer icon”. With asio it doesn’t allow me to choose the resolution (24 bit is always selected).
I guess it’s just the nature of how ASIO works.

I’m still not getting why you’d want to do this or what you’re trying to achieve.

My question is can you play back a m-audio delta card with the ASIO drivers in n-track 16 bit version?

Not wanting to be pedantic, but that wasn’t your question. You stated ntrack 24 bit.

I know for certain it used to work fine in the old versions way back when I was trialling it before registering (as demo version was(/is?) 16 bit only support. Don’t know if that is still the case with v4, but I’d be surpised if it didn’t work. To be honest though, I don’t see why you’d want to. The minimal cost difference to go to 24 bit version is easily worth it.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you need a conclusive answer I’ve always found Flavio responds to his mail by the next day latest. Ping him at support.

Daniel