Did I just waste $80.00?

The plot thickens

So,

I recently purchased the Audigy 4. I installed it just the other day. And upgraded n-track to 24bit. However, I’m still facing these terrible lag issues. It is amazing to watch how quickly the number of samples dropped increases.

This is with no other tracks than those being recorded and using the WDM driver for the card.

I experimented with various sample rates (48). I tried the ASIO drivers. There seems to be no lag associated there, however, there is no signal…bizarre.

Something strange is afoot.

any suggestions?

First, don’t bother with any rates other than 48k, because the Audigy is designed around a 48k core and at other rates just doesn’t work as well. (Well, that’s true of the Audigies I’ve heard about so far – maybe there’s more than one core design but I doubt it. The Soundblaster X-Fi is different.)

Second, try downloading the “kx” drivers. I don’t know where to get them or any of the details, but I bet someone here does. Unless things have changed, you need the kx drivers to get the best from Audigy and Soundblaster cards. Try googling and see what you find.

I don’t think you wasted $80. Lots of folks use these cards and get good results.

Jeff

And when you get it working, please benchmark it and send me the results! (See http://learjeff.com/RMAA/results.html.)

Thanks for the advice.

I’ll try that route. And once I get her happy, I’ll benchmark it.

Also, is it possible my PCI 3d Accelerator card is interfering with the DMAs or bus load somehow?

Cheers!
Phil

Just a word re KX drivers:

Eugene, the developer, has stated that his involvment will be minimal from now on.

So it seems that the KX project is history. (And still no Asio 24/96 :()

<!–QuoteBegin>

hi, guys
"long time no see"

yep, haven’t visited the forum for ages…
so, what’s up with kX?

- I’m too busy with lots of different offline/online activities, so cannot work on kX
- I will try to release 3538 final in Jan
- there will be two 3538 releases - pre-final and final
- I will release some parts of the driver opensource (sourceforge?), if possible

what to expect in 3538 final?
- fix for midi channel 10 (drums)
- better a2value support
- better sb22x support
- minor fixes and improvements

what is NOT expected?
- ASIO 24/96
- a2zs notebook support
- EAX
- etc…

FAQ:

OS support:
1. there will be NO linux support (95% of new code needs to be written)
2. there will be NO MacOS x86 support (95% of new code needs to be written)
3. Win98-based OSes are no longer supported – it’s 2006 already
4. we will not support 64-bit OS till I get true 64-bit platform
5. we will not support any 3-rd party OSes (reactos etc.)

hardware support:
1. we will probably never support newer X-Fi or E-mu hardware
2. I have a2zsnb by hand, but cannot make it work at the moment. Creative does NOT respond to my e-mails and I cannot get any technical specs for a4, a2value or a2zsnotebook; the same for ‘noisy a2ex output’ issue and ‘MIDI attack issue’
3. as always, NO USB, SBLive24Bit, Firewire, ac97, HDA or any other stuff

future development:
1. I will try to release some parts of the driver opensource, but not the core, since it is covered by CL NDA – don’t ask for the sources, GPL etc.
2. if anything is ever released, it will be available as GPL/L-GPL
3. since some people requested non-MSVC SDK, I will probably need to re-build the API-part of the driver using another compiler – interested parties - pls start a different thread discussing preferred tools and let me know by e-mail when that’s done (we will need to choose -one- package/compiler for future SDK-dependent parts of the driver)

to our developers:
please send me by e-mail your very recent source code / plugins / effects / skins etc. to be merged with the 3538

to translators:
please download 3538 pre-final when it is out and update your translations accordingly

to people willing to contribute to the project as developers:
due to lack of time, I cannot monitor the forum at all. please find out any other way of communication (livejournal, wiki, another forum, mailing list etc.) and let me know by e-mail – we will probably need to discuss the future of the project from the programmers’ point of view - the ways of making it partially opensource, new features, SDK features and so on

and, finally, Merry Christmas (both, old- and new-style) and Happy New Year to everybody

Eugene

Yeah. I noticed the last driver update occured a couple of february’s ago.

(or last feb, I can’t remember what I read).

I always thought that KX was a un-expected gift. So, it was good while it was.
In some way, i believe that KX project dont have sense to continue alive. It was the 7 wonderfull of the world when sblive cards was a revolution. But in the musician world, soundblaster lives dont have sense to exist. In the days of the sblive, there isnt other cards at that price with the power of it. Yes today. The more interesting thing i like from soundblaster was their soundfont power, another thing that dont have too much sense today. SO? I believe he mades well.

Yeah, it’s true what you say Marce. KX drivers were the dog’s bollocks back in SBLive days, and they are still wonderful for accessing all that lovely DSP hardware, but they never fully exploited the Audigy.

As to your comment re Soundfonts, I was just thinking the same thing myself the other day.

I still have a nice GM soundfont loaded, but that’s only for compositional purposes. I always use synths and sample engines now whenever I render down the MIDI tracks.

Speaking of which, I’ve just got hold of a demo of Steinberg Hypersonic 2 which looks like a fun toy. :D

Ah – oops, I was forgetting the distinction between Audigy and SBLive. So, maybe kx was a bad suggestion.

So guys, best drivers for Audigy are the Creative drivers? Any idea why ASIO yields silence?

Actually Jeff, the KX driver is still good with many Audigy’s. In some ways it’s better than the Creative ones, but in other ways, it’s much poorer. The lack of full 24/96 Asio support being the major failing.

People on the KX forum have been moaning about that for years, but Eugene decided to go the “broad” route, making it usable on as many different cards as possible, instead of concentrating on maximising its potential on any one specific card.

It’s a shame from the point of view of Audigy2 users, but, it’s free, and it’s his project, so one can’t really complain I suppose. :)

But I really can’t explain your Asio problem Phil. Creative drivers are cumbersome, but I’ve never had any problems getting them to work. ???

A PCI graphics card might cause dropouts etc., but I can’t see it completely silencing your soundcard.

Have you checked your system tab to see if there are any device conflicts?

<!–QuoteBegin>

I experimented with various sample rates (48). I tried the ASIO drivers. There seems to be no lag associated there, however, there is no signal…bizarre.

I’m going to assume the audigy 4 is very similar to the audigy2 zs and that you have the one with the breakoutbox.

Set ntrack to 48K and make sure that you have up to 20 inputs selected in n’s preferences. This is because some of the inputs may be on high number asio channels and if you only have 2 inputs selected you can’t see a signal from channels 3-20!. You’ll get 10 pairs of VUs in ntrack. Now see if you have input signals. On my system I have:

1&2 = analogue stereo input 1
3&4 = “all audio” (or “what you hear” - useful for recording midi output, soundtracks from DVD’s, output from the demo version of melodyne :D etc)
5-16 are virtual and digital inputs and effects channels thru the internal DSP
17&18 = analogue stereo input 2
19&20 = analogue stereo input 3

The recording part of the creative mixer does absolutely nothing when using asio, but the other part turns direct monitoring on and off. You have to either make sure an input isn’t muted, or make sure “live” is activated in n to hear an output for monitoring, otherwise you hear nowt. On my audigy the default setting for channels in the creative mixer is “muted”. The two monitoring signal paths obviously allow direct monitoring in hardware or indirect monitoring through the S/W and plugins.

Personally I wouldn’t use the KX drivers (although I’ve never tried them) - until very recently the page said they weren’t useable on audigy. The creative drivers automatically turn the virtual inputs on and off depending on bit rate selected. As creative seem to have renumbered the asio virtual channels between various versions of the audigy card my guess is using non-creative drivers may introduce unknown errors. e.g. the 2zs uses channels 17&18 and 19&20 for inputs 2&3 whereas the platinum ex uses 15&16 and 17&18. No idea what the audigy4 uses.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Also, is it possible my PCI 3d Accelerator card is interfering with the DMAs or bus load somehow

I’d never seend PCI clashes until today - just put an internal modem into a PC I am rebuilding and it vanished the network card from device manager. Tried reinstalling it and it wasn’t there. Moved it to another slot and all was AOK. The only conclusion is some sort of PCI/resource clash.