Did This Clip On A Bet (Mark IV) What Do You Think

My 12 year old son is beginning to learn guitar and he has been supplementing the real thing with Guitar Hero. Honestly, the one thing I like about that game is that it is introducing my son to some good bands. The Doobie Brothers’ China Grove has stuck out and I told him that is the song that first got me interested in guitar back when I was about 5 years old (1976 man I’m old). He bet me I couldn’t still play the tune. I took the bet and came up with this version. I spiced it up a bit but tried to keep it true to the original as well. In fact, the solo is so good that it essentially unchanged.

What do you guys think? I think I did a pretty good job. I’m not entirely happy with the intro riff but I didn’t spend a more than 45 mins on the entire tune.

I programmed the drums in Fruity Loops and resampled them with Steven Slate Drums through Drumagog. I played the bass through my SansAmp Bass DI. All rhythm guitars were done with Rhy 2 (no boost). Solo was recorded with the Lead channel and some delay.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/100-China%20Grove.mp3

I think it kills, but I think if you were 5 in 1976 that makes you a spring chicken.
:D

:agree:

Great guitar sound.
Make your song sing it.

Edit: may I add, I want your amp. That is such a good sound. I understand talent has something to do with it, too.

lol - so what did you win? a Lil’ R e s p e c t ? :laugh: Or more time on guitar hero?

Good job, guitar is rocking.

5yrs old when it came out. hmmm, when I was 5 there was no Beatles, Stones, or Doobies.

There was only Roy Rogers and Poppa Willis! :laugh:

I was 5 in '57 - Momma would holler from the kitchen - "Tommy, Chet Atkins is on the radio!"
Had lunch with Chet one day and told him that story. He grinned and said, "Could you pass the salt?"
Ended up doing a ton of work with his personal engineer Mike Poston. All because of Mom… waaaahhhhhh :laugh:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 13 2008, 11:25 PM)

I was 5 in '57 - Momma would holler from the kitchen - "Tommy, Chet Atkins is on the radio!"
Had lunch with Chet one day and told him that story. He grinned and said, "Could you pass the salt?"
Ended up doing a ton of work with his personal engineer Mike Poston. All because of Mom.... waaaahhhhhh :laugh:

That's totally awsum Tommy! :agree:

Spent hours sitting by the ol record player listening to Chet.
A true genius and master of the guitar!

Tommy wuz 5 and wuz 1,

My Momma used to tie a pork chop around my neck to get the dog to play with me!

Yaz (whose neck still smells like a pork chop)

You old geezers… in ‘57 dad was just startin’ to work up the courage… :laugh:

D - '63 model. It ain’t the age, it’s the mileage… YAWN now danggit! OFF to BED…

Rockin’ guitar tones man! I just LOVES dem Boogies… yummy…

Hey… hows that Schecter treating you? I’m on the lookout for a two 'bucker axe. The C-1 series that I have played have been PRETTY nice… Yours have the EMG’s or the Duncans?

I would LOVE a Petrucci EBMM… alas, it requires too much Denari.

D

Quote: (TomS @ Jul. 13 2008, 8:01 PM)

I think it kills, but I think if you were 5 in 1976 that makes you a spring chicken. :D

:agree:

Great guitar sound. Make your song sing it.

Edit: may I add, I want your amp. That is such a good sound. I understand talent has something to do with it, too.

Thanks! I wish I was a spring chicken!

The Mark IV is a killer amp and I finally have it where I want it in terms of micing up the cab. Very pleased with my guitar tone.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 13 2008, 8:06 PM)

lol - so what did you win? a Lil' R e s p e c t ? :laugh: Or more time on guitar hero?

Respect for sure. He's starting to get to the point where he doesn't bet me anymore and asks for tips instead. That'll learn him!!

I stink at Guitar Hero. Playing the real thing does not translate well to the game. I will say it has helped my son in the timing department.
Quote: (Yaz @ Jul. 13 2008, 10:14 PM)

Good job, guitar is rocking.

5yrs old when it came out. hmmm, when I was 5 there was no Beatles, Stones, or Doobies.

There was only Roy Rogers and Poppa Willis! :laugh:

Thanks!

I don't feel young I'll say that.
Quote: (Diogenes @ Jul. 14 2008, 12:11 PM)

Rockin' guitar tones man! I just LOVES dem Boogies... yummy...

Hey... hows that Schecter treating you? I'm on the lookout for a two 'bucker axe. The C-1 series that I have played have been PRETTY nice... Yours have the EMG's or the Duncans?

I would LOVE a Petrucci EBMM... alas, it requires too much Denari.

D

I have been playing different amps for 24 years and finally stumbled onto the Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I wish I would have found this bad mama jama years ago. It fits me like a glove!

The Schecter Hellraiser is pretty good. For the money Schecter makes great guitars for the money. I am not a huge fan of the EMGs. I'm definitely a passive pickup guy. Don't get me wrong, I do like it. I prefer the EBMM Petrucci all day long. I use the Schecter for different tunings. I always leave the Petrucci in standard tuning. Ernie Ball makes some of the best production level guitars available. To me they are the next best thing to a custom guitar maker such as Suhr and Tom Anderson.

SIGH

I stumbled onto a MM Silhouette a few years ago in a music store. They had it marked down CHEEAAAPPP. It had been there too long and had buckle rash on the back. After raiding all the “she money” (money SHE don’t know about) I could find, I went back to get it. Yep… GONE… Such is the “D” luck…

SIGH

Thanks for the info… I think I’ll keep me ear-balls peeled for a C-1+ with the Duncan JB and 59 p’ups. I’m not a fan of active p’ups on electric guitars.

D