Didjall?

hmm?

Didjall register to get your free Rode mic T-shirt?

No, but I just got a Rode NT1 I was planning to get the Octava Mod on.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Cool, but I bet the mod won’t help all that much. Might on an actual Octava?

http://www.rodemic.com/m1tee.php

Quote: (TomS @ Mar. 21 2010, 8:11 PM)

Cool, but I bet the mod won't help all that much.
Might on an actual Octava?

Oh contrare' if you listen to the shoot out over a hundred people out of 210 couldn't tell the difference between a modified Rode NT1a and a '70's Neumann U 87 but don't take my word for it go listen for yourself.

Acoustic guitar samples Page 1, vocal voice over samples page 8.

These modified Rodes are already being used in professional recordings in studios in the US, and being picked over the Neumann tracks.

PS, I had an OCtava 219 I think it was, tried it on vocals, not that good at least for my style, resold it for a profit.
Now I have a modified Apex 204 for a ribbon vocal take, much better IMHO.

keep shinin

Nice thread Gents:

Sounds like another case of Mind-Over-Matter…

What’s better ????

Classic/Vintage
or…
The new stuff with all it’s present day Design-and-Engeneering and All…

Old School guys like me …
not wanting to keep up with the times…
:p
:laugh:
not wanting to let go of all their junk and spend their hard-earned loonies on all this new

Wanna-Be Toys…

Bill…

Quote:

Oh contrare' if you listen to the shoot out over a hundred people out of 210 couldn't tell the difference between a modified Rode NT1a and a '70's Neumann U 87 but don't take my word for it go listen for yourself.

NEAT. Thanks for that, Jeremy! :agree:

Bill, since I'm on the way to being vintage, I say vintage is better!

In fact, it seems to me that lots of the new stuff is blowing away lots of that vintage stuff.

Well, I’m pleased to say that I identified them correctly, but my reasoning differed from other people’s there, since I thought that the Rode would almost certainly have a bit harsher hi mids. Anyway, it was a 50/50 chance. But the thing is, there is not a whole lot to say against the modded Rode, not much difference between the two! Which supports my point, that modern tech has made high quality a lot cheaper! There real test for me then would be to compare the Rode to an unmodded Rode.

BTW, I own an NTK, an NT5 pair, and an NT3. Rode is the best bang for the home recordists buck, and I knew this when I saw that they were using a bunch at Sun in Memphis. :)

Thanks again, Jeremy! That was fun.

Quote: (TomS @ Mar. 22 2010, 2:59 PM)

Thanks again, Jeremy!
That was fun.

My pleasure to share!

Anywho, sorry if I was misleading or confusing with the whole Octava Mod thing, that's just the name of the site Michael Joly has that he offers the Mods on, but he does much more MXL's and Rode's than he does Octava's.

If you can spare the spread you should send that NT1 in, you will get much more out of it.
I was amazed at what he does for MXL's all the ones I have owned sounded tinty and metallic, but some of those samples he has on the shootouts of the very same mics....night and day. (should have held onto them and had them fixed)

keep shinin

Hhmmm!?

I’ll grab a T-Shirt anyways.

Just bought my first(apart from a few 57s) vocal mic. An sE2000.
A couple of months ago, I asked you guys and did a load of readin’ on the subject and quickly realised that, at the time I couldn’t justify the investment as all spare funds are going into the barn/studio rebuild.
I think I understand all arguments, pros, cons and rational. I will, forever, be grateful to Bubba for the roasting he gave me on the subject. But when needs must, you’ve just gotta go for it - yeah?
One way and another the sE kept jumping to the top of the budget pile and after hearing a bud’s results with it on a female track - I grabbed one.
£70 ish with shock-mount and pop-shield thrown in.
Bought from dv247.
Pop-shield
£35.
Generic budget mount
£15.
I wouldn’t want to build the cute box it comes in for less than
£10.
So the mic cost
£15 - Hhhmmmm???

I only do this music thang for fun and to help support local players. The sE is obviously a cheap mic but after testing it for a week on all sorts of stuff, I’m quite impressed.
I’ll be posting something for your judgment soon.

The
SE2000, not only does it sound great IT also makes a mean smoothy!

PS Tom, I did.

keep shinin