disappearing functions

snapping, splicing and other stuff

I used to mix stuff with n-track way back when with version 2. I was recently playing around with version 6 and some of the essential functions seem to have disappeared or just don’t work…

First - snap to 0 functions only at the start of the selection, not on both ends as it used to. Makes it impossible to cut a slice out of the wave without getting a pop at the end of the cut.

Second - the command “splice at the start of the selection” seems to have disappeared. How would you splice a part at a specific time without it? Selecting through the end of the wave is not a feasible option at high zoom levels.

Third - crossfade function seems to be logarithmic by default and that cannot be changed globally. I prefer linear crossfades and it would be a pain to manually change all the crossfades from log to lin.

Fourth - the selected part of the wave used to be inverted colors, now it’s a bland gray that makes it quite difficult to follow the waveform. I found no way to adjust that.

Fifth - is it possible to turn off the slanted edges on the wave boxes? When zooming out, the slanted edges cover parts of the wave itself, making visual edits quite uncomfortable.

Any ideas on how to get this stuff to work?

Randy. I hate to answer this way, but you are going to have more questions until you check out the Help menu or the current manual. There have been many, many changes in the way to interact with N-track. I think most of the problems you have are optional setting in the Settings, but I would have to check the Help menu myself to be sure.
Quick answers ( I think)
- Enable the grid ( click on the grid icon) and the cursor will snap to the grid line nearest where you place the cursor - there is also a some Right-click selections available.
-Place the cursor where you want to split or slice and use one of the splice selection from the Edit menu - it works on the highlighted tracks (the Help also has a list of keyboard commands to do this sort of thing).
-Setting> Appearance tab click/select or click/ un-select Envelope by log interpolation to control fades
-The program now has “skins” that change the way the program looks, and they can be downloaded - I agree with you comment about the Track Selection display. I wrote a skin that you can download from Settings . Skins called More Viable Buttons that addresses this issue amount other or you can make your own skin to fit your needs.
Sorry, I don’t follow you on the last question, maybe someone else can get that one.
I hope this helps some
Bax

Bang bang, Bax-well’s silver hammer.

Hi randyfloyd:

The third option you make reference to, is in the preference panel…
You’ll find it in the appearance panel…
Upper right-hand corner…
I prefer the linear mode when editing, as well…
However, I do use the other mode, on occasion…

Bill…

Hi, bax3,

Quote:

Randy. I hate to answer this way, but you are going to have more questions until you check out the Help menu or the current manual.

To think that I did not read the manual before posting here is fairly insulting, but whatever…

Quote:

Enable the grid ( click on the grid icon) and the cursor will snap to the grid line nearest where you place the cursor - there is also a some Right-click selections available.

How would using the grid be of any help in making 0-crossing cuts (which was the issue at hand)? In music with no set tempo (classical, live stuff) grids are useless anyway.

Quote:

Place the cursor where you want to split or slice and use one of the splice selection from the Edit menu - it works on the highlighted tracks

Splicing at cursor does not allow for automatic 0-crossing cuts, which was the main idea behind the “splice at the start of the selection” function.

Quote:

Setting> Appearance tab click/select or click/ un-select Envelope by log interpolation to control fades

That setting addresses volume envelopes, not auto-crossfades. Besides, that setting is linear by default.

Quote:

The program now has “skins” that change the way the program looks, and they can be downloaded - I agree with you comment about the Track Selection display

I was not asking about track selection - I know how to adjust that. My issue is with wave selection (dragging the mouse along the wave). There seems to be no skin function to change that.

So much for bax-well’s silver hammer…

Sorry that you felt insulted by my suggestion, as I said I hate to answer that way - that is why I went to the trouble to give what I thought were answers to your questions - unfortunately, that seems to have irritated you. I think you can find answers to most of your questions.
Good luck.

Quote:

...unfortunately, that seems to have irritated you

I'm cool, no worries. Still hoping to get that "snap to 0" problem sorted out though. The way it works now simply makes no sense.

Could it really be that not a single n-track user cares about the snap-to-0 function being broken? It’s like the number one tool for wave editing… unbelievable. Flavio? Anyone?

Hhm!? Hi randyfloyd. I only picked-up n-T at v6 so not familiar with the altered functions. I perform a lot of cut/splice type of editing and never have ‘pop’ problems.

Quote: (randyfloyd @ Aug. 22 2010, 11:22 AM)

I used to mix stuff with n-track way back when with version 2. I was recently playing around with version 6 and some of the essential functions seem to have disappeared or just don't work...

First - snap to 0 functions only at the start of the selection, not on both ends as it used to. Makes it impossible to cut a slice out of the wave without getting a pop at the end of the cut.

Second - the command "splice at the start of the selection" seems to have disappeared. How would you splice a part at a specific time without it? Selecting through the end of the wave is not a feasible option at high zoom levels.

Third - crossfade function seems to be logarithmic by default and that cannot be changed globally. I prefer linear crossfades and it would be a pain to manually change all the crossfades from log to lin.

Fourth - the selected part of the wave used to be inverted colors, now it's a bland gray that makes it quite difficult to follow the waveform. I found no way to adjust that.

Fifth - is it possible to turn off the slanted edges on the wave boxes? When zooming out, the slanted edges cover parts of the wave itself, making visual edits quite uncomfortable.

Any ideas on how to get this stuff to work?

The snap to 0 not snapping the end of the selection is a bug, build 2627 which should be online shortly should fix the problem.

As for 'Splice a the end of the selection', I've removed the command and merged it with the regular Splice command, it now only snaps at one single point when there is no current temporal selection: single click on the part that you want to Splice (selecting the part and clearing the temporal selection), then click on the desired splice point in the timeline axis, then select the Splice command (or press the S key).

I have yet to check the problems with the crossfade mode and the customization of the temporal selection.

Flavio.

Thanks, Flavio.

Quote: (randyfloyd @ Aug. 22 2010, 11:22 AM)

Fourth - the selected part of the wave used to be inverted colors, now it's a bland gray that makes it quite difficult to follow the waveform. I found no way to adjust that.

The default mode (logarithmic vs linear) for crossfade follows the setting for regular fades, in the box that appears Ctrl+clicking on the fade in or fade out toolbar buttons.
However note that the crossfade mode is a per-part setting, so if you change the default mode and then test this by copying and pasting an existing part, the pasted part will still have the default crossfade mode that was active when the part was created.

The temporal selection for the timeline, tempo evolution and piano-roll windows currently has fixed color and transparency.
The next build (which should be online within today or tomorrow) will allow to customize them.

Flavio.