Dithering down to 16 bit?

White noise

Hi folks,
Im a very part time user of N track V5.1 and havent been around the forum for a good while now. I use a Line 6 Toneport as an interface and plug my guitar or bass direct as it makes life so simple. I only discovered relatively recently that I can actually record in 24 bit and 44100 or 48000Hz.
I have an older Compaq 1.8 GHZ Laptop with 1 gig ram and have done the windows XP SP2 performance mod to make it have more resources available for recording and plug my toneport through a USB PCMCIA card which works great as I dont suffer from drop outs when recording.
Two things that are very apparent using 24 bit over 16 bit recording. The recorded sound is higher quality and the recorded volume is higher. I can only achieve this by using the following settings.
Set 24 bit, stereo, Input Asio Toneport GX Output Asio Toneport GX
Asio Toneport GX2
I end up with two recording inputs but I disable the GX2 level meter and monitor by clicking on the red and green buttons.
This is the only setup that works in 24 bit all others I have tried only gives me white noise.
16 bit works no problem in mono recording.
I can mix down the wav file to 24 bit WMA but I cant convert the wav down to 16 bit MP3 or or CD audio using the dithering process. All I get is white noise.
Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can achieve this?

Hi One-way:

I think when you go to the Render process you should see a screen that drops down to give you more detail…
There, you should see options to render your 24-bit .wav files to a choice of what bit format you choose…

At that point-in-time you might have to enter your audio card and re-adjust your card for the audio format you want to play your .wav files in…

Could be what issues you have…
Maybe, that could be something for you to investigate…

Bill…

In the same boat One-Way, same version too,

would like to make that jump to 24bit but dread the computer related annoyance involved in that.

WHen I went from 48000 to 96k it was a major pain…all those old song files in 48…and the computer keeps asking (do you want to change frequencies to match?) NO I do not want to change frequencies for the last time, I am now recording in 96k, and that is that.

I have a pretty handy dandy converter I picked up for a nominal fee back in 2000, dbpoweramp.

So I convert a lot of those old files to 96k and just work with them from there…

That’s all I need is more file format discrepancies in projects, I would have things all over the place, 16bit 48k, 16bit 96k, 24,bit 96k…all mingled all over the place… :disagree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys.
Bill,
I have tried setting it to sound card settings, 16 bit but nothing works so far. The other problem going from 24 bit is you cant mix down while the song is playing as the conversion to wma or mp3 is grayed out. I do like to switch effects off and on and change drum patterns etc. I might have to stick with WMA files as they mostly are played on the computer anyway. I will keep experimenting.

Honestly I don’t have much experience with Ntracks mp3 or wma converters since I have other apps for conversions that are much more efficient and all my changes for drums and fx are automated for my mix downs.

I run a similar system (1.8G 1G ram ,matched pair) and it runs fine in 24bit (although I get a noise every so many seconds since I don’t have the license for 24bit on my version.

But if I were having problems I wouldn’t try and do any conversions will doing a live mixdown and changing fx and such.
I would just let the DAW and system concentrate on the task at hand making a wav. file.
I don’t know what the protocol is if Ntrack is converting to mp3 while the mixdown is occurring or if it does it after…

I hope you get it sorted. :peace:

keep shinin

Hi guys,
Got it sorted now.
It was a case of manually changing the sound card drivers on the settings menu as Bill pointed out. I got it to mixdown to MP3 now by redownloading the lame dll file and it works sweet now. I just need to learn to automate the settings now.

Hi One-way:

Nice observation-and-FIX…
I’m so proud of you…
Why couldn’t I figure that out…
????

Today, I’m trying to re-enter my mail ID and passwords into my studio computers so I can retrieve mail, while I’m in the studio…
NO-GO, so far…
I’ve tried everything I know to get them to recognize my mail servers…

I use two operating systems…
Vista and XP…

I think that’s the first mistake…

:)
:laugh:

These computers worked just fine till I had to get the Phone IT Man to figure out why I was loosing my DSL lines…

All these computers can do one thing at-a-time
GooD…
Ask them to do two things…
????
NO-GO…

I’m gonna cut off all the wires to my house and go back to 2" Tape…

Bill…

Quote: (One-way @ Nov. 18 2010, 3:14 AM)

Hi guys,
Got it sorted now.
It was a case of manually changing the sound card drivers on the settings menu as Bill pointed out. I got it to mixdown to MP3 now by redownloading the lame dll file and it works sweet now. I just need to learn to automate the settings now.

Glad to hear it,

if you end up coming back and reading this...what are you using for drums?

If it's midi you can automate whatever you normally do by hand, pan, volume, FX etc etc...

keep shinin

hi Jerm,
I’m just using the standard N track drums. My recordings are no doubt very basic by other standards. My technique is to establish the tempo with a metronome or N drums, push record and lay down a rhythm track, lead guitar riffs and finally a bass track and experiment with different effects before the final mix down.
I find I have to play around to try and find a bass pattern that compliments the guitar track as not being a bass player it seems all too easy to end up playing the same notes as the guitar just a few octaves lower which doesn’t always sound that great. The bass is such a wonderfully expressive instrument in the right players hands and I have only recently appreciated just how good John Entwistle
(The Who)was as a bass player and those incredible runs and riffs he did.
The less things connected to your computer DAW the better. I have to remember to turn off the wireless signal on my Laptop when recording as that can cause audio drop outs.

Yeah,

I just used audio click tracks, (or midi ones rendered down to wav.) when I am recording.

Also I use midi drums and hardware drum machines so I can quantize and add tempo changes to make music sound more human…

I hear what you say about bass, I used to use a Fender Jazz bass but the strings went sour on it and haven’t gotten around to having them replaced…so now I just use a keyboard (Axiom25) to record the bass into midi and bass module to hear it.

keep shinin