Dividing long recording into separate tracks

What is the best way?

I am setting this thing up to record church services of two hours or longer, but I want to take the recording when complete and cut it into separate tracks for the sake of finding songs and sections more easily than having to seek the location in the one long track.

I did not see anything that addresses this specifically. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to best do this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Well, I dunno, when I have done that I just saved the big file, then would save it again under the name of the first song, then find the end of that song, and cut out the rest of the file and save it again, then go back to the big orignal file, then save it under the name of the second song, then find the beginning and end of the second track and cut out the stuff before and after, and grab the left end of the wave form display, and drag it over to the left all the way, and then save it again under the second name, and then go back to the big file, and save it under the name of the third song, then find the beginning and end of the third song, and…well, you get the idea.

Is there a better way?

Yeah, cut and paste sections to new files, stay organized and name the cut pieces with names that will you will make sense of later. I would use an editor like audacity (free) or sound forge.

Using Sound Forge (or Audition) this is a fairly straight forward process. I posted an article on doing this to a CD Track at Associate Content - but the same principles apply to any .wav file.

Use Audition To Split a CD into Smaller Files

highlight area of track where song 1 is - then EDIT-NON DESTRUCTIVE-SPLICE –
this will seperate the song from the rest of the track - drag down and it will form a new track - continue untill all songs have been cut out -

remove long track - now MIXDOWN but MUTE all but one track - continue till all songs are saved as seperate wave files

Dr J

The way I’ve always done it is by using the markers.
1. Mark the beginning and ending of each section (zooming in and adjusting if necessary) (ie right click on the timeline, Add marker here…).
2. Right click between the first set of markers (on the timeline) and choose Select between markers.
3. Render the section (File, Mixdown song)
4. Click on the More options button (on left).
5. Make sure the From is chosen and the beginning and ending times are filled in (latest build wants to choose Entire song).
6. Make any other necessary changes (eg. 16 bit if you are going to burn it as a CD track).
7. Setup the output with the correct filename and folder.
8. Click on the Start button.
9. Go back to the main screen and right click between the next set of markers and choose Select between markers.
10. Repeat steps 3-9 until all sections have been rendered.

Once you get the hang of it, you can cut up the church service quite quickly and have a CD master ready shortly after the service.

Paul

Hey there. Not often I post here, simply becuase I don’t often know the answers to people’s questions! BUT, I think I can help here. If you have NERO Burning ROM, you can import the whole WAV file into your audio CD project. Once it’s in, you can right click on it, and select PROPERTIES (I think!) Here you can insert track cuts in the WAV file, without actually having to cut the original file up into pieces.

Hope that helps!

Daz

I have tried all the above methods and they work. I just found the easiest way for me is to import the entire .wav into Adobe Audition and chop it up there. Audacity will work too and is a freebie.

D

By the way, the NERO method Dazzi_g posted works pretty slick… I just usually wound up wanting to EQ or tweak different “sections” separately so I ended up chopping them up in Audition.

D

Hey, thanks everyone for all of the great tips. I am starting to try some of the methods out to see which method works for me. So far, I kinda like a mix between Jackrabbit’s suggestion and vanclan’s suggestion.

Since I generally find myself having to normalize and apply compression to different sections independently, I find it easier to process all of the audio in n-track, rather than using audacity to cut it up (I did download audacity and it is a nice app as well - from what small amount I have used it).

Thanks for all of the help!

Which reminds me, I like audacity - it was billed as a VST host, beats me how to host a plugin with it. I mean it has lots of good effects built in from the drop down menu but I can’t go pick up plugins from my VST folder and import/apply them. I missed something didn’t I? Is Audacity a VST host or not?

Quote: (nixon1972 @ Jun. 17 2008, 4:32 PM)

Which reminds me, I like audacity - it was billed as a VST host, beats me how to host a plugin with it. I mean it has lots of good effects built in from the drop down menu but I can't go pick up plugins from my VST folder and import/apply them. I missed something didn't I? Is Audacity a VST host or not?

You have to download and install another bit of software from the Audacity site. Look for "VST Enabler". Problem is, with it installed on my system, Audacity WON'T start up! Go figure... It could be a wonky freeware plugin I have is choking the enabler and preventing Audacity to start. Don't know... I don't have problems with my plugins in other softies.

Try it at yer own risk...

D

thanks, I’m going to pass on the enabler, or disabler as they should call it. I can tell you another free wave editor, don’t tell anyone you got it from me: Wavosaur. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is free at download.com. It’s nowhere as good as audacity or sound forge but it can support every VST I have, I use it to experiment with the free plugins, it hosts ones that ntrack won’t open. I have even saved a few tracks on it. So, it’s not such a great editor but a super easy VST host. Has a dumb icon though…you can imagine a wavosaur…

Audacity is a great visual editor for fade ins/out and so easy to cut and move bits around.
I do most of my editing with Audacity then export it back to N to burn to CD.

Quote: (nixon1972 @ Jun. 17 2008, 8:23 PM)

thanks, I'm going to pass on the enabler, or disabler as they should call it. I can tell you another free wave editor, don't tell anyone you got it from me: Wavosaur. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is free at download.com. It's nowhere as good as audacity or sound forge but it can support every VST I have, I use it to experiment with the free plugins, it hosts ones that ntrack won't open. I have even saved a few tracks on it. So, it's not such a great editor but a super easy VST host. Has a dumb icon though...you can imagine a wavosaur..

Heh... Yeah I found Wavosaur a while back myself. It's a pretty decent program. My main wave editor though is an old copy of Adobe Audition 1.5. I got it second hand from another guy but fooled around and didn't get the upgrade to 2.0. Honestly though, 1.5 has everything I need and then some. You can still find CoolEdit Pro (Auditions predecessor) on the web and get a key gen for it. I don't think it would be technically piracy because even if you had the cash in hand, you couldn't find anybody to pay!

One caveat, Adobe didn't add ASIO driver support until 2.0. You must use WDM or MME drivers.

Might be worth a look.

D

PS CoolEdit Pro/Audition 1.5 ain't worth a poot for VSTi hosting though...

Um, Flavio added a feature for precisely this purpose. And it handles the case where you have lots of tracks – maybe overkill for the case where you want to do this after mixdown, in which case the Audacity feature might be simpler/better.

I don’t have the latest version of n-Track, but I’m kinda surprised nobody has mentioned this feature yet. Called “split song” or something like that. It looked well thought out, and should be just what you need.