Do I need a Amp in between my Guitar and mixer?

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 15 2009, 3:24 PM)

By the way whats a DI box?

Did I just go invisible? Hello? McFly?

heheeee :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiYbCJitvQ

EDIT: Check out the fro’ on Mr. Preston… :p

I haven’t thought of this tune in a bagillion years… seems appropo though.

D

Late to the party but getting back to the original question, I sometimes record bass (Fender P-bass) directly into the Line In on my (Soundcraft) mixer with good results.

Other times I use a straight DI, or line out from my bass amp or my bass enhancer thingy (like a sansamp but not, I forget the make). It all depends on what sound I’m going for.

Electric guitar can be recorded direct but it tends to sound wimpy. I have done it when that was the sound I wanted, or for a quick guide guitar track. It works better with higher output pups like humbuckers.

With electric guitar I tend to get the sound right before going to “tape” rather than recording clean and adding emulation effects. I’ve got a J-station, Rocktron rack pre, and a few other toys to use. Sometimes there’s no substitute to sticking a mic in front of a cabinet and recording some real air moving. Again, use what you got to get the sound that you want.

I nearly always record my Variax straight into the mixer with great results but I tend to use it for the “other” sounds rather than electric guitars.

So my answer to “do I need something between my guitar/bass and my mixer?” is “yes”… and “no”.

:slight_smile:

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 17 2009, 4:47 PM)

... or my bass enhancer thingy (like a sansamp but not, I forget the make).

Aphex xciter. I remembered

Thanks for all the great tips…I’m learning alot

When you guys record a full band In on shot :) …say a live gig…how do you run the cables…ie from the amps,mics to the Mixer

I usually put one in of a chord in the mixer then what ever is left on the other end goes… never mind - ain’t funny now.

When I record live with the band we mic everything except the bass and guitar - they go into the mixer by way of a direct box. We have a mackie console and mackie 24 track that we patch into.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 17 2009, 10:38 PM)

I usually put one in of a chord in the mixer then what ever is left on the other end goes......... never mind - ain't funny now.

When I record live with the band we mic everything except the bass and guitar - they go into the mixer by way of a direct box.

Similar but if there's and electric guitar I'd mic the amp.

Keyboards and acoustic guitars are DI'd. Bass, DI.

Live? As in on stage? In that case… we don’t bother. Good luck finding a room worth it or a sound man in the know enough to make it work. I may stick up a spot mic every 10000 years just to have for review (we sucked here, we did good there). In a good room with a good performance (this generally means I am recording classical) then a spaced pair of omnis is all I use… perhaps a center mic too.

Or do we mean live as in “everyone in the studio at the same time”? That is a whole other animal. In that case everything that can be miced is, everything that can be DI’d is too… so I have amp tracks of the guitars, a duplicate Di track in case I want to reamp, recorded keys, MIDI of the same keys… drums, triggers on the drums for MIDI… lots and lots of redundancy for flexibility’s sake. And I always reserve the right to replay your part later if you screwed it up (unless it was a violin part in which case if I did that I would be de-nutted).

I pretty much agree that taking a “direct feed” from the sound man’s mix doesn’t work too well. That sound is or should be, mixed for the room. If I find myselkf wanting to record from the sound guys mics, I try to put my own board plugged into his direct-outs so that I get as many seperate tracks as I can instead of a two channel mix. Then I can mix it myself later.
The live recording that sticks in my head: we were doing a show in a large room with an electric base. The sound guy had a min. of the base in the on stage monitors, but a lot of base in the room from the on stage amp. The baseman kept turning up the amp and the sound guy kept turning down the feed. That was a challange to re-mix . . .
Bax

Yes I ment as If there all on stage ,amps going mics, monitors etc.

Do you ever hook the amp…say a Fender directly to the mixer?
Instead of micing It?..If so what out put on the amp would you plug into?

Thanks for your patients…I’m learning a lot here…and Its much appreciated