Do I need a faster CPU?

Excessive CPU usage w/ JS & effects

I was wondering if any of you are having the same problems with Jamstix + 2 channel effects/compression added and 1 Aux applied effect that I am.

I am running a DAW only musicxp optimized, P4 2.4gHz, 1.5GRAM, 10k SATA HD, build1969 and JS 1.32. MOTU 828MK2, buffers must run at 2048, anything below exacerbates the problem. All tracks are 44.1k/24bit. I have turned off HT in nT’s settings. I’ve tried every stinking tweak I know of.

A few projects I’m using up to 20 tracks and when I add JS and turn on one of the track compressors and/or add nT reverb to the Aux1, the CPU starts pegging the usage meter or at least stays in the high 70%+ range. Usually with a tom or crash fill N will stutter and the CPU meter goes red. During the song nT stutters like Mel Tillis.

Without these effects+VSTi’s nT is usually in the 30-50% range. Just using JS without effects brings usage up 10-20%. Often the stupid PC locks up and although nT will close, nothing else will start and I have to hard reset.

I am thinking of throwing even more $ at a new mobo/cpu/pci-e card, but before I blow all that cash…anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!
Rick

I’ve got jamstix but haven’t had a chance to play with it much. Will now though, yay for unemployment!

Are you using the compression in JS or a plugin on the synth track?

Using the built in track comp. Nothing fancy. Sorry to hear about yer job situation. :(

You’re definitely over-taxing your CPU.

If you have the Pentium PIV 2.4C chip, I would first try over-clocking it. You can probably boost it to 2.8 with little worry. You might even get to 3.0.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I am thinking of throwing even more $ at a new mobo/cpu/pci-e card, but before I blow all that cash…anyone have a better idea?

With your existing config, I would not recommend upgrading to a newer CPU until you’re ready to go dual-core, and that is a little pricey right now. That’s what I’m personally going to do.

I don’t know much about JS.

What version of nTrack are you using? If you are using 4.x, you might want to try 3.3 if it meets your requirements.

<!–QuoteBegin>

What version of nTrack are you using? If you are using 4.x, you might want to try 3.3 if it meets your requirements.

I’m using the latest nT, 4.1 b1969. I wish I could go back to 3.3, but I have 2 separate projects running using v4. I read here that I’m basically stuck as 4 files are not compatible with 3.

I think I will install a different system drive and put v3.3 on it and start a new project to compare the 2 versions cpu taxing.
Although it won’t get me back in business with the current projects. I have another computer, an AMD64 3500+ I can try out to compare as well. I’ll have to read up on oc’ing the cpu…sometimes, it causes more problems.

On a side note, I have been lurking orver at the Cubase forum and SX3.1 users are experiencing alot of the same types of problems, with no help from Steinberg support yet.

Thanks,
Rick

<!–QuoteBegin>

Using the built in track comp. Nothing fancy. Sorry to hear about yer job situation. :(

Nah, I quit. Couldn’t deal with the shift work (it was killing me, basically, and was no good for the rest of my life oustside the place).

<!–QuoteBegin>

I have been lurking orver at the Cubase forum and SX3.1 users are experiencing alot of the same types of problems

That’s because the trend is to use the computer as DSP device in addition to a recording device. The problem the CPU horsepower & applications aren’t quite there yet, but we’ve made a lot of progress.

Try over-locking your CPU but get information on how to do it first & make sure you have a good CPU fan. You might want to get a Zalman if you don’t. However, your DAW will get a little noiser because you’ll need to run the fan alittle faster to cool off the CPU.

I was starting to think the ‘hardware hasn’t caught up to the software’ game was on again. I guess we’ll have to get used to upgrading once a year again.

I’ll google around for my mobo-Abit IS7- and see what to do. heehee…I haven’t oc’d since I had a Celeron 300…oc’d it up to a whoppin’ 450mHz! Then it fried in 6 mos.

:p

Gotta pretty nice/quiet Zalman HS/Fan on it now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Rick

I have a P4 2.6Ghz with 1G ram and haven’t had that much of a problem with JS and n-track…

I’m using build 1846 of N. I found later builds gave me much higher CPU usage - haven’t tried the latest release though… was using the beta’s from a month or so ago…

I don’t use any of the n-Track fx either… I mostly use Kjaerhus and SIR.

I can have some Kjaerhus, SIR on and AUX (or even 2 SIR on separate AUXs) and JS.
I record at 24/44.1
ASIO buffer set at 512 samples

I don’t usually get up to 20 tracks though… If I did I’d probably need to raise my buffer or do a mixdown of some tracks to get rid of some fx…

One thing I usually do once I get to the mixing stage is render the drums from JS to 4 separate wav files and then disable or remove JS from the project so I’m working all with wavs.

Rich

SysTool - System Overclocking utility that supports your mobo.

http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/

Plus, this overclocking guide for the IS7-E might help you do it manually…

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/fma/overclocking1.htm

I’m really happy I went through the work to o/c my Asus P4B-266C from a 1.8 to 2.4. Jumping up pc2700 ram from pc2100 gave me some headroom too. And it’s still running pretty cool without extra fans - I could probably push it a little bit more…

Good luck.

Um, couldn’t ya just freeze a few tracks? A whole lot safer than over clocking as a first step.

Overclocking scares the bejeebies outta me. I tried it with an Athlon XP 2500+ which is supposed to be super OC friendly. It went well for a few days then the mysterious BSOD’s started. I throttled her back down and spent the extra cash for a 3200+. I’ll drop the 2500 in my sons PC one of these days. You know “rountuit”…

TG

Yeah overclocking and then needing to put extra fans in to keep it cool is probably not something I’d want to do to my DAW.

Extra fans = extra noise…

Overclocking has been done for years by gamers. In fact, the chip manufacturer’s are very conservative when they rate a chip. I would not have recommended it unless I thought it was OK. Having said that, I do NOT recommend overclocking a CPU like a gamer would do.

If you overclock, you don’t need any extra fans, you just need a fan that’s really good at dissapating heat.

If money is no object, then buy a new DAW (from me) with the fastest CPU in it. :laugh:

I’m running a 2000+ at 2400+. It will go higher, but it’s not prime stable for longer than 9 minutes. In it’s current config, I had it prime stable for 13 hours without a problem (and no problem at that point either, I turned it off).

No, I don’t recommend pushing it like a gamer, especially if it requires extra fans. I just said I’d pushed my setup from 1.8 to 2.4 without extra fans, it stays within 40-50degC and I’m very happy with the results - but the Asus P4B series is known for being easily overclocked.

I tried oc’ing the beast, but ended up trashing the system drive…wouldn’t show a boot. Probably lost the boot files. Oh well. Good day for a rebuild.

So I went and got a AMD3800+X2 (that’s dual core), a new mobo-Asus A8N-SLI, and PCI-E video card. Set me back a bunch, but I figured hey, I’d get a stable nT/JS combo. Don’t know why I do these things, in search of the holy grail or something like it I ‘spose. Well, after a long day, I got everything re-installed (nT v4.1 b 1962-thought I’d play it safe- and Jamstix 1.32). Adjusted my Motu up to 1024 buffers, and nT STILL HICCUPS AND STUTTERS LIKE MEL! I am honestly sick’n tired of wankin’ around with 4.1x!!!

I uninstalled 4.1 b1962 and loaded up 4.04 and everything’s JUST FINE…mostly…ok, more often than not. Still some dropouts, but not as frequent.

Oh, and just for the record ya’ll, don’t go oc’ing your production box!

Thanks for the ear,

Rick

<!–QuoteBegin>

I tried oc’ing the beast, but ended up trashing the system drive…wouldn’t show a boot. Probably lost the boot files. Oh well. Good day for a rebuild.

Well, particularly with nforce2 boards, an overclock gone wrong will require that you clear the bios via the jumpers and won’t POST until you do. Doubt you lost the boot files, never happened to me (not that it couldn’t though).

When using that program that someone suggested, there was a couple of times there was a write error showed up in the system tray and the puter locked up, That probably did the number on the boot files.

My point was on a playbox, go ahead and oc, but on a production box, be forewarned.