Do the Nervous Breakdown

This is good, Tina. I like how you manage to fit in a solid 25 seconds of guitar solo in a relatively short song.

Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 20 2011, 6:13 PM)

Tina!!! If I had one tenth of your guitar talents, I wouldn't be askin' you to do me a little solo job :;):

you can ask tony
Quote: (GeoffO @ Jan. 20 2011, 9:59 PM)

I like how you manage to fit in a solid 25 seconds of guitar solo in a relatively short song.

we have become obssessed with writing the perfect pop song & sarah who i write with thinks you cannot waste a second... every second has to have something interesting going on... evry bit in the song has to be as strong as the last bit....i dont think id have got the solo in if alli hadnt joked about the nurse tina thing!!

the drum machines are dr414 & dr670 mark... we never got a manual with the first one so never knew how to use it properly & now the new ones come without a manual aswell!!

Another fun song…however there is something different about the drums, when compared to some of your other tracks. This time they sounds a bit papery/thin.

As for monitors I have a set of KRK Rokit RP8 and a set of Ditton 110 studio reference, made by Celestion in the late 70’s & early 80’s, these have been reconed by Celestion once, powered by a Samson Servo 150.

The KRKs are a bit mid rangey. The Dittons because they are so old and broken in have a big bottom end. Its well worth saving your pennies/schekles/pounds? to get real monitors. It is also worth taking several road trips to music stores to audition monitors. One of the MANY lessons learned along the way is to never buy what I did not try first. You will be listening to these for hours on end. Finding ones that don’t fatigue your ears is important.

DR 670 manual here:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/product…ncd=280

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 22 2011, 5:29 AM)

Beat me to it.

Actually the DR670 is quite a nice bit of kit. Well I'm not sure Boss make any thing that's rubbish.
Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Jan. 21 2011, 5:29 AM)

...you cannot waste a second... every second has to have something interesting going on...

Wonderful approach.
A LOT of people have something to learn here, methinks
:)
Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 21 2011, 10:29 AM)

thankyou tom & mark... isnt the internet a wonderful thing!

Yes, yes it certainly is. I nearly always try to find the online manual for any bit of kit I buy. Call me sad but if I’m buying something I generally have specific things in mind and want to make sure it will do it…

Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 21 2011, 9:05 PM)

Yes, yes it certainly is.
I nearly always try to find the online manual for any bit of kit I buy.
Call me sad but if I'm buying something I generally have specific things in mind and want to make sure it will do it.....

Not "sad"... prudent. I do the same thing. Besides, you have a leg up already when the gear is finally at hand. :)

UJ

yeah but I never RTFM once I’ve got the gear :whistle:

Can’t believe you guys actually read the manuals. Sissies!

Real men ask for directions.

(I know, I know, the punchline: and then ignore them!)

:laugh:

Finally had a proper listen…

What a FUN song!! Very WELL done Tina and cohorts. :agree: :agree:

You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.
You’re NOT crap.

:laugh:

UJ

Your 4Track tape training really shows - everything you do is crisp and punchy.

thankyou UJ & tony

we saw the final mix waveform by accident & its completly flat it looks like we compressed it beyond belieif

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Jan. 20 2011, 5:53 PM)

im real amazed you can use old hifi speakers for monitors i thouht they would be useless & that monitor speakers were made specially for this
our ones are nearfield or something like that i thouht they were special so you could be close to them as we are in a small box room

That is sort of true. You want a speaker where the space between say the tweeter and woofer is not too far apart so that when the combined sound of the two reach your ears you are not getting too much of one or the other. Certainly there are monitors sold to the mixing world speciality as mix speakers, but that doesn't mean they necessarily are best. Sure, on the low end, you're probably better off with studio monitors as book shelf speakers have tweaks to add bass and such. But once you get into the higher end, the line blurs. For mastering, most MEs are using a high end set of audiophiles speakers. Bowers and Wilkins comes to mind. For my own sake I mix on a pair of these adn they are hifi boxes: http://www.immediasound.com/Sonics-Anima.html

So, Bubba, correct me if… A monitor should produce, exactly, what it has been fed, with no colour or influence. But as every model has it’s own sound, you need to get to know and trust yours - whatever it is?

Well, they all claim to be flat and all that, but they aren’t. For instance I got a pair of Event Opals… $3k… hardly worth it as there are other speakers for half/quarter the price that lie just as much. So take the monitor deal with a grain of salt. This also brings in why room treatment is so critical (lying speakers in a lying room… adds up to LIES!) as is mastering. Mastering puts your work into the hands of someone with (hopefully) a great room and truly neutral speakers. So yes, learn your speakers, but I can’t hammer on how absolutely critical it is to treat your room well if at all possible. The best speakers in the world still have to pass through the room to get to you. So yes, learn your speakers… but be prepared to also learn your room.

midi at the old wiki