Doing my part...

Well, Tom has chastised us for not posting enough so here’s my contribution for the week… more rock oriented than my last couple of songs. If nothing else at least it clocks in under four minutes!

North Star

####, that’s good.

HEY JW,
Sounds really good!
I understand the pain of war, if that’s what this song’s about, but is the N.STAR you’re belief in the stars, so to say, then GOD, AS you put it? Just curious…
Keep 'em coming.

TOMMY

Nah, it’s obviously a reference to the Mineesota North Stars. :)

Don’t you mean The North Star Bar & Grill in Rochester?

Regardless, being reminded of that place really takes me back. It would open at 8 AM for the folks getting off work. They’d be plastered by the time we came in to set up at noon. We’d have sound check at 2PM then come back at 8PM to find our AC light cords cut. It happened three times there. The old guys working all night didn’t like young hippes in those days. :)

AND AND AND…IT’S STILL THERE!!!

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/rochest…6032082

OK, favorite bars from whenever. I vote the Plaza Tavern in Madison:

http://www.theplazatavern.com/

The only place I place I ever played in Madison was The All American Drinking Bar - (1975-76). I didn’t see it in a search. I’m not surprised. The crowds were small. I loved Madison though. There was a shop across the street run by some folks from India, selling real Indian clothes – got some pretty neat stuff for stage.

We spent some time hanging around with Gunnar Antell (he does come up in a search – amazing!) while there, and even used part of the name of one of his bands as the name of our next band (we were Jubal at the time playing progressive – to become Cirkus in late 1978). He band had been Super Circus (cirkus?).

EDIT: Super Cirkus or Super Circus? Yes, they were the guys that did the bubblegum stuff in the late 60’s under various different names. (yet more jogged memory)

What is this …long lost memories day? :D

All the places I used to play are torn down now… :O ??? :(

Fire hazards and making room for condos and all… It makes me feel so old… Those places were jamed on check day… everybody cashing their Government Social Checks…

Booze and smokes were cheap back then… What-a-Way-to-Go…

Bill…

Wow… talk about wandering threads :p

In this case North Star refers to placing your hope in higher authorities, which I generally find a dubious thing to do. But if you want to place your hopes on the Minnesota North Stars, that’s ok too…

My vote for favorite dives from long ago goes to the Haunt bar and grill in Ithaca NY. I had a band that played there (badly) a few times in the early 90’s. Pearl Jam also played there right before they became famous.

Some great lines in the lyrics. What I really like about this song is the unexpected moments. Kept me listening to the end… always a good sign :)
Nice work,

Ian

Eyup!

Hey, it’s got a backwards guitar thing! great!
Time to grow my hair again
and break out the joss sticks :)

Steve

Quote (jm67 @ April 25 2007,12:59)
Wow... talk about wandering threads :p

In this case North Star refers to placing your hope in higher authorities, which I generally find a dubious thing to do. But if you want to place your hopes on the Minnesota North Stars, that's ok too...

My vote for favorite dives from long ago goes to the Haunt bar and grill in Ithaca NY. I had a band that played there (badly) a few times in the early 90's. Pearl Jam also played there right before they became famous.

My fault!