Don't let them kill PBS

Take Action.

Newt tried to do it but failed but the right-wingers will succeed this time if you don’t help.

Bill Moyers was on democracy Now Yesterday, this is worth a read:

Moyers on DN

what if someone proposed that the $220 million that is being cut (by the way, i thought it was only $100m?) were to go instead to state departments of education?.. i have no interest in pbs personally, in fact, i’m not even sure if i can pick it up (no cable, only rabbit ears :))… personally, i would rather spend time with children outside than sitting in front of a television… fishing is a great educational experience… :)

this has prompted me to make another donation to the Libertarian Party :)

isaac

The things that are going to be directly affected are educational programs for kids. My kids have learned a ton from PBS kids shows, unlike what they would have learned from most shows on other kids channels owned by, e.g., disney. So what will happen is that they will take money from Ready to Learn grants and give it to Halliburton, i.e., themselves.

And you say it’s not class war!

<!–QuoteBegin>

…they will take money from Ready to Learn grants and give it to Halliburton

the liberal’s last restort: haliburton!! haliburton!!

<!–QuoteBegin>
And you say it’s not class war!

and i’ll say it again - it’s not class war :)

isaac

As I said, to Haliburton, as a metaphor based on a real example, for to themselves.

so every person in favor of cutting these funds is a haliburton shareholder?.. you didn’t define “they”…

isaac

No, not every person. But the ones who are doing it right not are not doing it from some principled commitment. They are doing it for personal profit. “They” here means Pat Harrison, Tomlinson, and the many conservatives who lick their hands, or whose hands they lick.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But the ones who are doing it right not are not doing it from some principled commitment.

tom, we both know we’re bright… but i gotta ask that you clarify this sentence… the confusing grammar actually made me “huh?!” out loud… :D

isaac

Big Bird won - Obey of Wisconsin Amendment.

Better check your representative - ha, ha, ha. :laugh:

I wrote my representative, Jerry Lewis (a**) & this is what he replied:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Dear Mr. Cressey:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal funding for public broadcasting. It is good to hear from you and I am pleased to have the opportunity to respond.

I have long been a supporter of public broadcasting. In the past, I have successfully secured over $2 million to aid KVCR (a public TV/radio station based out of San Bernardino, CA) with their digital conversion. With no commercial broadcast television stations in the Inland Empire, it is essential to support the work of KVCR, which provides local news and public interest reports, as well as serving the diverse student body of the community college district.

As you may know, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967. It promotes public telecommunications services (television, radio, and online) and invests in more than 1,000 local radio and television stations. While it’s support is valued, I feel it is important to note that the CPB provides less than 20 percent of PBS’s annual budget and less than 2 percent of NPR’s. The majority of funding for both comes from corporate and foundation sponsors as well as station assessments.

Many have expressed concern about recent funding allocations in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2006 Labor, HHS, and Education Appropriations bill. Support of programs including the No Child Left Behind Act, health research at the National Institutes of Health, expansion of Community Health Centers, and dislocated worker assistance necessitated the reduction and termination of many programs. While the bill rescinds $100 million in FY06 CPB funds, it does not eliminate the CPB. In fact the bill maintains advance funding of $400 million for FY 07 (appropriated in FY05) and during Full Committee mark-up of the bill Congressman David Obey successfully offered an amendment to provide $400 million in advance funding for FY 08. No other programs in the bill receive 2 year “advance funding” for planning purposes.

Congress has entered the beginning stages of the budget process. You can be sure I will keep your thoughts in mind as fiscal decisions are debated in the months ahead.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,

Jerry Lewis
Member of Congress

Despite having seen little of PBS, nonetheless, I personally would pay folding money to watch someone napalm that purple crocodile thing. :laugh:

Quote (idover @ June 23 2005,15:22)
But the ones who are doing it right not are not doing it from some principled commitment.

tom, we both know we're bright... but i gotta ask that you clarify this sentence... the confusing grammar actually made me "huh?!" out loud... :D

isaac
Oops. Just a typo - too much of a hurry today -

"the ones who are doing it right now ..."
Quote (Sceptic Tank @ June 23 2005,21:19)
Despite having seen little of PBS, nonetheless, I personally would pay folding money to watch someone napalm that purple crocodile thing. :laugh:

Tank, dontcha know, Barney is a dinosaur from our imagination.
Quote (TomS @ June 23 2005,21:27)

Tom, as well as that is....Napalm him!!

TG

All of the airways NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, that other one, what is it? Oh yeah “FUX”, belong to the American people. Do some research to see if the other guys actually “pay” for their airway time.

This is an issue close to my heart. 20% of PBS’ funding is a lot. Our local station is running fund drives continually becuase they are barely able to make it as is. The programming has been hurt as they cannot afford as many new shows as they once did. For those of us without cable, PBS is the one refuge from Entertainment Tonight and Maury. I think it fills a valuable void of TV, not just in children’s programming, but in many of the current events shows as well. No network has the nuts to put on what they do. PBS doe snot have to worry about ratings, therefore they can focus on quality. If network TV were to air some of the things that PBS does, their ratings would tank This is not because the shows are bad, it is becuase they don’t cater to the lowest common denominator. Just as the governement funds public works such as libraries and museums, I see PBS in much the same boat. Does the average Joe care about the General Custer archives of BFE, Idaho? Probably not, but that does not negate the value of the resource to the intellectual and educational well being of the public.

It is discouraging to hear the arguments some are using to deep 6 PBS as well. Some on the conservative side say PBS is too liberal and essentially, they wnt to gag PBS for not towing the company line. This is absurd. NOW is juxtaposed to Tucker Carlson. There are several other similar juxtapositions, and this accounts for less than 5% of their programming. We’re not talking bias like Fox news here. For every one NOW or Tucker Carlson, there are 10 other shows that are not even closely related to being political. That argument does not hold water.

As for the Halliburton comment, though maybe the poster child of government waste, you have to admit, there is plenty of money spent on stooooopid stuff that I would much raher see spent on PBS AND public education. Iraq is one money pit and probably the easiest to pick on, but you have to admit, there are many more. Neither the repubs or dems have a monopoly on stoooooopid spending. The just have different favorites as to where to stooooopidly spend.

Quote (Bubbagump @ June 24 2005,08:42)
Neither the repubs or dems have a monopoly on stoooooopid spending. The just have different favorites as to where to stooooopidly spend.

Ain’t THAT the truth…

If they succeed in torpedoing PBS, I might as well forget television altogether. PBS, History and Discovery Channel is about all I can bear to watch. The rest is repulsive garbage for the most part. I probably only watch a few hours a week though… so what do I know…

TG
Quote (TomS @ June 23 2005,21:27)

And when he's tall he's what you'd call a dinosaur sensation. :)