Done a little "horse tradin'..."

Pick it up Sunday…

Got one o’ DEEZ…

I’ve played it before and it sounds/plays great. I’m excited!! Best of all, I am out no cash. I traded some seldom used recording gear and a drum machine. I use the ol’ puter for drummin’ these days so I won’t miss the drum box either.

SCHWING!

D

Bastage

YEAAAYH! About friggin’ time, you’ve been a wannabe forEVer
:cool:
Now go get a Bigsby!

I have been jonesin’ for a Gretsch for a long time… I’ll probably mod this thing a little bit. Better tuners… might look at some real TV Jones p’ups for it although the stock ones sound mighty FINE through my valvulating toober amp… Unfortunately, it needs to sound FINE through the POD XT Live… we’ll see…

Yep. I’m stoked. :laugh:

D

Sooner or later you’ll end up with a hollowbody too. You know it’s true :laugh:

Quote: (teryeah @ Aug. 29 2008, 3:52 PM)

Sooner or later you'll end up with a hollowbody too. You know it's true :laugh:

Yep. Actually, I know where an orange 5120 is that I am going to try and trade for if it's still there. I made my mind up Wednesday night during our music service at church... My Godin LGX III has to GO! The thing plays great, is very versatile but has NO sustain at all. I get called on more and more to do lead work and that thing just don't cut it. With fresh strings it's okay, but a week later pppp-dunk. That's about all you get. My Strats are gonna remain my main axes until I work this Gretsch out. Gotta tweak some sounds for it in the POD and all that...

How ya' been Teryeah? You old Norse guitar wielding god of thunder!

D
Quote: (Diogenes @ Aug. 29 2008, 4:22 PM)

How ya' been Teryeah? You old Norse guitar wielding god of thunder!

D

Minimal axe wielding around here for the longest time. My fingertips're all soft...

Summer's been busy; doing some much needed work around the house, throwing nails & banging paint all over the place, fixing my broken down junky old cars etc etc...

Whatever time I've had left was spent hanging out with good friends, enjoying the nice weather, spicy food, red wine & cold beers.

I've been through worse
:whistle:
:)

EDIT: You don't aquire a hollowbody Gretsch if you're praying to the God Of Endless Sustain. At least not unless you're @ feedback volume :(
In that case you're barking up the wrong tree
Quote:

EDIT: You don't aquire a hollowbody Gretsch if you're praying to the God Of Endless Sustain. At least not unless you're @ feedback volume
In that case you're barking up the wrong tree

LOL... Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. I don't want the 5120 for sustain and screamin' solo's... I want it for the TONE that so far I have only heard from Gretsch hollow body's... I had a Dean hollow body once... thought it would gimme "that sound". Nope, it was SADLY lacking... I wailed on a Gretsch in a music store for a while though and THAT was the sound I was after. I had plugged into a Fender Blues Junior which is very similar to my amp and BING... there it was. I don't even know how to describe "THAT" sound?

D

Heh heh heh -me neither. You just know it when you hear it.
Or wait a minute, could it possibly be a Jazzmaster? :p
I’d better get one of those too, just to be on the safe side :laugh:

You know the sad thing? My best friend in high school… well his dad had this MINT, I mean frickin’ FLAWLESS 60’s Jazzmaster. I tried every thing I could think of to get him to sell me that thing… It sat in the original (also MINT) case under his bed forever… might still be there for all I know. Untouched, un-played, dying the worst kind of guitar death there is… ugh. Same thing with a sweet P-Bass… just sittin’ there waiting for great-grandkids to make firewood out of…

D

• fingers in ears *
    BLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLBLLLLLL!!!
    Idon’twannahearaboutit

My brother in law did the same thing to an awesome Country Gentleman. Last time he let me see it (I was gonna beg him for it) it was so screwed up I could barely keep from goin’ to the truck, gettin’ my gun and gut shootin’ him. I’m still pissed just thinkin’ about it.

Ouch Poppa… On a similar note, my cousin a couple years older than I, was killed in a traffic accident. I was probably fourteen or so when it happened. He had this really awesome Ibanez Artist. One of the high-dollar models… it was beautiful, played like butter and sounded fantastic. I saw it again just a few years ago while visiting his younger sister who wound up keeping the guitar. It looked like it had been dragged behind a pickup chained to the bumper… I remembered Robert playing that awesome axe and almost broke down squalling… :heart-break:

D

NICE D! :)

Well… dude forgot to bring the axe to church… sigh I can forgive him… he has a bunch of extra company visiting and is probably pulling his hair out stressin’… Maybe I’ll get it tomorrow…

D - Itchin’ to be Gretschin’ :laugh:

We all have stories to tell…

There’s a couple that’s tough to top…

When I worked at the Musicstop in the Service Department I saw them everyday…
If only I could remember some of them…
Russell brought in some of the Ibanez Line…
There was one he took a liking to…
It looked something like a Gibson ES 175…
with Gold Hardware
There were other Guitars in their line…

The first Bass I owned was an Ibanez Bass…
It wasn’t a copy of any bass…
It was their Bass…
I wish I still had it, today…

Bill…

I picked ‘er up at lunch… I’ll be tearing it down and cleaning, re-stringing and intonatin’ this evening! WOOT! Can’t wait to hear this thing… :agree:

D

Heh, I get half my tones from a hollowbody with a Bigsby. Crazy gain is great on those things when recording. I have to mess with edits to get rid of squeal between parts, but it can sound like God.

I plugged her into the POD and noodled for a while. Maybe I’ll have time to restring and intonate tomorrow. It’s not too bad out of whack… The stock p’ups are pretty cool. I need to raise the neck pickup a bit to balance them out some. The neck one is kind of odd… it’s a tad “woofy” until you dig in and the highs pop out. I think raising it closer to the strings will help a bit but it’s really pretty serviceable where it is.

I checked into a TV Jones pickup retrofit… OUCH! About 300 bux worth of parts and a lot of work… ain’t gonna happen.

I wish my toob amp weren’t dead. I remember when my bud bought this thing, he brought it over and we plugged 'er into the BelAire and man… what a SWEET sound. I think it’s a keeper.

D

PS The tuning machines are gonna get replaced for ones with a higher gear ratio. These stock ones are TOUCHY! Maybe some Sperzel lockers… yeah…