Done a little "horse tradin'..."

Quote: (Diogenes @ Aug. 29 2008, 3:50 PM)

I have been jonesin' for a Gretsch for a long time... I'll probably mod this thing a little bit. Better tuners... might look at some real TV Jones p'ups for it although the stock ones sound mighty FINE through my valvulating toober amp... Unfortunately, it needs to sound FINE through the POD XT Live... we'll see...

Yep. I'm stoked. :laugh:

D

Don't forget to practice.
Not meaning that you need it of course. :peace: :laugh:
Quote:

The tuning machines are gonna get replaced for ones with a higher gear ratio. These stock ones are TOUCHY! Maybe some Sperzel lockers... yeah...

Okay... I played the beast at rehearsal last night. The stock tuners gotta go... It holds tuning good enough, it's just the darn tuning machines are a B%^CH to dial in... Gear ratio ain't high enough!

Anybody have recommendations? Something with a better gear ratio and hopefully, just "drop right in" installation? I love locking tuners but I'm afraid I'd have to drill out the peg holes and I really don't want to do that unless I have to...

D

PS Where's "Gretsch MAN" Teryeah when you need him? Somebody activate the "Gretsch MAN" signal eh?

I can’t find my Gretschometer.

Quote: (Diogenes @ Sep. 05 2008, 1:18 PM)

PS Where's "Gretsch MAN" Teryeah when you need him? Somebody activate the "Gretsch MAN" signal eh?

You just did, buddy. I'm around, just not logged in since I use a dedicated browser (Opera) fer these pages & some other stuff

I have no idea re tuners that might be a drop-in replacement. My Setzer 6120 has locking Sperzels and I can't recommend them high enough, but will they fit yours? Hmmmm... I dunno.

I's a cheap guitar, why fret over drilling a few holes?

Anyway, go here http://gretschpages.com/forum/ and do a search.
You have to use Google (advanced -> site specific) since the search funtion over there is practically non-existent
Lots of people have been thinking your thoughts
:)

Yeah I know… it’s a Chinese knock-off… but it still has a geetar soul… sniff I hate to take power tools to it… :laugh:

I’ll scope out the Gretsch pages.

Setzer 6120? You DAWG! Man, what a sweet axe that has to be…

Thanks “Gretsch MAN”! :)

D

New strings… EB Slinky Pinks… (yeah I know… “weenie strings” roll-eyes). Lowered the action just a fezz… set the intonation. Raised the neck p’up about 4mm… VOILA! Happy Camper! Cool tones to be had… yurp… it’s a keeper. :agree:

Neat thing… if you REALLY DIG into this thing, juicy tones leap out. Just gotta be aggressive with it. Lay off and it’s all sweet and laid back… punch it and whoa momma! Really high gain stuff is not really the “thing” here… DYNAMICS are.

I like it… Gots to find me a holler bawdy Gretsch now…

D

Last post on the Gretsch acquisition…

Played it at church today… it sounded great! Despite a couple small foul-ups on my part (new material…) The geetar was great. Maybe some new tuners someday… maybe a pickup change-out… But for now, considering I was out no cash on the deal… I’m happy! :agree: I wish all my “trades” had turned out this happy…

D

Quote:

Last post on the Gretsch acquisition...

Okay... one more...

I'm in love with this thing... the ol' Strat will be looking at the inside of it's case a whole lot more from now on...

Gads! I have to wonder how amazing a "REAL" Gretsch would be!?!?

TG