Dr rythym 550 as slave?

I never use this midi stuff but

I’ve been using this product for almost a decade and never touched anything midi until now so I need some really basic information. Can i use a cheap drum machine as a slave for a VSTI instrument?

Well sort of. You could use a drum machine instead of a Vsti but I’m not sure why you would want to.

Anyway, there are two ways to do it…

1. Program up the song in the drum machine and use MIDI sync to have the drum machine play while n-track plays. You would have to record the output from the drum machine back into n-track if you wanted it included in your mix.

2. Program the song in n-track in the MIDI editor. Send the MIDI out to your drum machine to have it play the beats. You still have to record the output back in.

But, the question remains, why? - especially using #2. There are so many free Vsti that can do drums and the ability to change samples so easily gives a vast amount of flexibility.

Sorry if I’ve misundertood your question though.

No. you understood correctly. OK, I thought that I’de prefer a padded trigger over sequencing it one measure at a time BUT after playing around I see that I won’t use a pad for this. So my next questions are
1. Is ntrack drums a good drum sequencer? is it worth getting another(to use with ntrack)?
2.where can I get more kits?
3. can I record my own samples and create my own kit? Of course it would be for novelty sounds and not to reproduce drums.

Thanks for the response.

Quote: (Aaron @ Oct. 14 2007, 11:18 PM)

No. you understood correctly. OK, I thought that I'de prefer a padded trigger over sequencing it one measure at a time BUT after playing around I see that I won't use a pad for this.

Actually that's not a bad point.

Connect the MIDI out from your drum machine to the MIDI in of your PC and set n-track to loop over a bar or two. Then use the pads on your drum machine to tap in the beats. Or even better you could tap the beat in over the whole song - maybe one or two drums at a time. You can then tidy it up afterwards in the MIDI editor and send it to a drum Vsti of choice.