Drawing volume envelopes

Checking level moves line

After I have drawn a volume envelope line, I occasionally want to check the level at a node or along the line. If I click on a node, even the slightest movement of the mouse while I click will move the level even before I can read it. So, for instance, if I set a level at -0.5dB and later want to see what the level is and set the mouse pointer over the node and click, I often see something other than -0.5dB because I had ever so slightly moved the mouse as I clicked.

I do keep my mouse pointer acceleration high to keep from having to move the mouse all over the mousepad for long moves. A move from the left to right sides of the screen takes about one inch of mouse movement. I know slowing down the pointer speed would help, but I like my mouse setup the way it is. I also know you can watch volume evolutions during playback by checking the green triangle in the mixer window, but that doesn’t accomplish the quick check at a node I am looking for. I also zoom in a lot vertically on the track so it takes more mouse movement to make a change, but that doesn’t eliminate the problem.

When I first set a node, the tooltip balloon shows the volume level as you adjust it. But if you hover the mouse over an existing node, it only says “Track x Volume” and not the level. It would be great if n-Track also included the volume setting of the node without having to click it. I have suggested this change to Flavio, but have not received a response. In fact, it would be even better if the tooltip balloon showed the volume level any place along the volume line and not just at the nodes.

Does anybody know a workaround that would let me set the mouse pointer over node and then do something other than clicking the mouse to see the node’s setting? I was thinking a shortcut key combination that would equal a left mouse click, but I haven’t figured that out yet.

This also annoys me. What’s needed is a display of the value when the cursor is over the node. But I wonder if there is some problem implementing that, it seems like the information is retrieved when the node is clicked - and it usually causes the node to move when I do that.
???

Hmmm…new feature request…Highlight a section of a track and right click. There is a feature in the popup menu that says :Display nodes list". The node list is all the nodes in the highlighted section where they can be manually edited - time and value, or nodes could be removed or added…just like the MIDI list. This doesn’t exist does it? No this isn’t even close to being a high priority need.

Of course I agree that I want to see the values as well, just like y’all, without having to clock on them. :)

This happens to me too… but I don’t find it that annoying…
When editing volume envelopes I always just have my left hand ready with the CTRL-Z to undo anything I don’t want.

I look at it as similar to graphics editing. A lo of time you’s draw or erase something a bit too far and you just CTRL-Z and redo it.
Same thing when drawing envelopes in N.

Rich

Quote (RichLum @ Dec. 17 2004,14:50)
This happens to me too... but I don't find it that annoying....
When editing volume envelopes I always just have my left hand ready with the CTRL-Z to undo anything I don't want.

I look at it as similar to graphics editing. A lo of time you's draw or erase something a bit too far and you just CTRL-Z and redo it.
Same thing when drawing envelopes in N.

Rich

But once it has moved you don't know what the original value was - so undo certainly helps, but what I want to know is what the value is before I click on it and it changes.

Agreed, phoo, it's not a high priority, but like the abilility to return faders to zero, or enter in specific numbers rather than use the slider, it's just another small thing that I'd like to see.

:)