dropping all volume track levels

Hi,
is their a feature that allows you to drop all track volume levels by any specified amount.

Please please please.

Thx

you can drop the master level. but not each track level the same amount that I am aware of. What are you doing? why do you want this? just curious.

fish

Hi,
when i have 24 tracks running its just a pain to have to lower every track by 3dB if its peaking. I may be missing something as
I have never seen this brought up in here before.
I miss alot.

Thx

oh, if the overall level is peaking, you can turn down the main level. That is what I do. just turn down the “master level” until you are green. Maybe this isn’t the best way, but I haven’t had any bad side effects from it at all. seems to me to be the most logical signal path gain control method. shrugs please feel free to voice disagreements.

fish

Your probably right, I have just got usto leaving the master volume at unity. I wonder if anyone knows if this does make a difference.

Thx

No it shouldn’t make a difference. The main thing to worry about are the individual track levels, in that none of them are clipping. If none of the tracks are clipping and the mix sounds good but the Master channel is clipping … yeah just lower the Master.

I’m certain it doesn’t make a difference, due to the documented way that n-Track handles the track and master faders in a single operation. Feel free to use that master fader, it doesn’t cost you anything at all in terms of fidelity.

(Well, if your track fader is at 0dB, using the master fader costs a multiply, adding a tiny amount of quantization noise. But there’s no difference between moving the track fader versus the master fader, and no difference between using one or the other versus both.)

What Learjeff said. Forget everything you learned about unity gain and analog boards etc. Digital don’t work like that.

Thx for replying everyone.
I appreciatte it, A