Drudge smears modern musicians

with help from Bob Dylan

I found this story linked from the Drudge website:

http://www.nme.com/news/111454.htm

How dare Matt Drudge smear modern musicians like that?!?

Obviously he forced Bob Dylan to make the remark about modern musicians being “amateurs” in Drudge’s ongoing smear campaign against Democrats because he mistakingly believes that all musicians are Dems.

I say again, how dare he?!?

:;):

All the trying to get folks goats aside, Dylan is kinda right. We had a similar thing last night at band practice the theory vs feel vs technique thing. FOlks are ignorant of a lot of these areas and don’t realize the importance that all of these parts take in making music. You can go off feel completely but knowing why a diminished chords works where it does opens a lof of doors.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 24 2005,10:17)
All the trying to get folks goats aside, Dylan is kinda right.

Maybe I'm missing something about Dylan... Isn't he one of those guys that only plays three chords and just moves the capo up and down the neck to make his songs try to sound different? And don't get me started about his singing... Ugh.

My point is that I don't think he has much room to talk when it comes to the sophistication of music. He says modern musicians are amateurs; I contend that he was never much more than an amateur musician himself, but what set him apart was his thought-provoking lyrics.

That said... most of what I hear on the radio is crap, etc...

IMHO, of course.

-John
:cool:
Quote (John @ Feb. 24 2005,11:29)
That said... most of what I hear on the radio is crap, etc...

IMHO, of course.

-John
:cool:

I share your opinion too JP. I don't know if it's cause I'm getting OLD or whatever, but there is VERY LITTLE new music I care to listen to for any length of time. I like a lot of new CCM stuff but the mainstream secular music? Blech!

Dylans songwriting skills? Yeah baby!
Dylans singing skills? Uh....blech...blech!

It's a good thing Hendrix redone All Along the Watchtower. Hendrix's version is GREAT! Dylan's stinks.

TG
Quote (John @ Feb. 24 2005,11:29)
Maybe I'm missing something about Dylan... Isn't he one of those guys that only plays three chords and just moves the capo up and down the neck to make his songs try to sound different?

Hey John,

actually, I know Bob a little bit, played with him once...and I can say unequivocally that he is a FABULOUS guitarist. And further, his chord knowledge is unreal. you can change keys on him and he is nuts on SANS capo. Believe it.
Maybe I'm missing something about Dylan... Isn't he one of those guys that only plays three chords and just moves the capo up and down the neck to make his songs try to sound different?

Oh, come on John! Admittedly his popular material consisted of 3 chord tricks, (but none the worse for that), but look at his orchestral avant garde pieces.

For example, his 3rd symphony: The apparently simple, but actually complex, interplay between the strings and woodwinds in the third movement.

The subtle harmonies that start in a simple Aeolian minor, then blossom forth into a celebration of anti-chromaticism, the.........

Wait, that's Bob Stravinsky I'm thinking of innit?

Sorry.

:(

Ali :D

Well now, Bob’s geetar skills, ummm, ok then Bob’s vocal skills, ummm… Bob’s actin’ skills, ummm…

Bob does have skills, let me think, oh yeah, he’s a surviver!

He has sold alot of LP’s, he is a great song writer, but has wrote a lot of crap also.

Quote (YazMiester @ Feb. 25 2005,19:34)
Well now, Bob's geetar skills, ummm, ok then Bob's vocal skills, ummm.. Bob's actin' skills, ummm..

Bob does have skills, let me think, oh yeah, he's a surviver!

He has sold alot of LP's, he is a great song writer, but has wrote a lot of crap also.

OK now I'm confused...Stravinsky or Dylan? :D :D

TG

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters & rock ‘n’ roll poets of all time! When we’re long gone & the nTrack forum is just computer dust, the music & songs of Bob Dylan will live on. There’s nothing more you can say about Bob except that he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest. I’m not in worthy the lick the dust on his feet.

I checked Drudge today & he linked to this story “‘Loving’ farewell to writer” with “Drinks with Dead Hunter Thompson”. Drudge has no shame! Goodbye Gonzo - I’m going miss you.

Mr Soul

OMG TG, guess it could be either one, LOL :D