drugs testing

A bit of a weird question, im just asking on the off chance someone might know something about it…
My friend is having a drug test by his possible employer as part of a screening process, beforehand they asked how long it had been since he smoked cannabis…he said 4-6 months, but thinking about it afterwards he realised he smoked one (as a one off) probably more like 2 months ago.
He doesnt smoke the stuff anymore, and only did occasionally anyway.
They are doing a test on his hair to analyse it for things such as drug use.
Is it possible for them to detect that someone smoked cannabis once 2 months ago? or is it more likely that only continued use would show through analysis?
He doesnt want it to seem like he was lying to them.

On a more moral note, maybe he should ring them and tell them he made a mistake?
This would cover him if they find out he had smoked more recently, but could jeopardise his chances if they dont see it that way, in which case he would be better off staying quiet.
Any thoughts?

anyway, as i said, im just asking on the off-chance someone knows…

Jow

The reason they test hair is because this is where the evidence of cannabis use lasts the longest. The chemicals in cannabis tend to last longer in the body than other drugs, as they are not easily soluble.

Tell him to shave his head… :laugh:

They already have the hair

:)

Quote (Jow @ Oct. 15 2004,10:23)
They already have the hair

:)

Hey jow...
This must be one #### of a top secret job.
My buddies in the navy, and he has top-secret clearance. (he works on the spy planes) And he never had such a test. Just your typical piss one. So that make me wonder, If our goverentment can trust someone with our topsecret technology without a hair test, what possible job in the private sector could warrant such a thorough screening?--just curious.
Anyway I never heard of someone finding THC in hair testing..
If he was only an occasional user I would worry about it too much.
Anyway, there's plenty of things that throw these test off, like poopy seeds and such. But if he already told them he used it, I don't think it will matter when it shows up. I don't think they can pinnpoint exactly when he last used from hair. As far as I know everyones hair grows at different rates, so that would be hard to define.
Also, I'm pretty shure they use hair to determin of there's more serious drug's involved. If they find THC that will only confirm his previous statement.

jerm

Most companies out source the drug testing. Ours switched to another clinic a while back and use hair samples versus the old clinic that done a urine test.

TG

Quote (Guest @ Oct. 15 2004,11:17)
Anyway, there's plenty of things that throw these test off, like poopy seeds and such.

jerm

Poopy seeds? Yuck....

I hope you meant poppy seeds.

:p

Mike

Yeah, that’s what they put in Baby Ruth candy bars.

Quote (DrGuitar @ Oct. 15 2004,11:33)
Quote (Guest @ Oct. 15 2004,11:17)
Anyway, there's plenty of things that throw these test off, like poopy seeds and such.

jerm

Poopy seeds? Yuck....

I hope you meant poppy seeds.

Mike

Hey they start out poppy seeds but end up poopy seeds in the end!...tehe
Quote (Bubbagump @ Oct. 15 2004,11:37)
Yeah, that's what they put in Baby Ruth candy bars.

eeeewwwww! bubba! good one. Throw that in the pool and see what happens!

It’s my understanding that the chemicals in pot stays in your system for a long time but I don’t know how long. Do a net search.

Did you friend have to admit to smoking pot in the first place, i.e., did they specifically ask me about pot as opposed to other drugs?

I would not advise him to admit to anything else (or change his story). Let the tests go before he says anything.

Marijuana can be detected by a urine test for up to 30 days since it is very slow to clear out. It can, and usually is, detectible in a hair sample for considerably longer than that. There are a few good websites that can tell you how long various drugs will remain in the system but I can’t think of the addresses right off. A google search would find 'em, though.

The majority of companies are now drug testing, even for relatively non-critical type jobs such as your basic desk jobs where the most dangerous task you face is avoiding a paper cut. Personally, I think it’s an incredible invasion of privacy - what I do or don’t do in my own time is none of their business. Besides, only a moron uses any kind of illegal drug and goes to work anyway…and if they’re going to test for drug usage, why don’t they also test for alcohol abuse? I suppose that since alcohol is legal, it’s acceptable to come to work the day after you’ve tied one on and be hungover at your desk, but pot doesn’t generally have that lasting type of effect.

If he really only had one puff two months ago then he really doesn’t have to worry. The amount of THC that would have entered his system would be consistent with casual, involuntary ingestion (second hand smoke). At least, that’s the story that snowboarders tell!

Drugs are bad… mmmmkay. :D

I had to pass a hair drug test to get a college teaching job.

I wonder how wide-spread it is now?

Gosh, the only time my hair ever smoked is when it was on fire…

Mike

This is about your “friend” (wink, wink) right Jow?

Mike

Toker, i wasnt there at the interview (see Dr. Guitar, couldnt be about me! :) ) but my understanding is that they asked about general drug use and then told him that they would be doing tests anyway…so it would probably be unwise to not mention it. I agree though, i think he’s gonna sit and wait…anyway…as bill said, a small amount could easily be second hand smoke.

Personally, I think employers need to start testing the moral beliefs of potential hires, and also their sports-team affiliations - I mean, I wouldn’t want to hire someone who cheered for Ohio State football and thought that exercising their right to privacy was morally acceptable…

THC is fat soluble as opposed to being water soluble as other typically abused substances. A hair scan can be used to detect usage for many months/years as opposed to how long the traces stay in your system depending on body composition. During the protein scan of the hair they can determine sections that have been altered, but it is hard for them to pin point amounts that are residual in the body as a whole as is done in standard lab test of urine. This is why they ask the question about usage. For the most part, employers are switching to alternative testing methods such as saliva or hair as to counter those that have learned to mask urine screens with ingestibles or by using other people’s urine.

Remember that it is not the express use of drugs that is not allowed, but the residual effects off their use on a person’s performance, health, and any claim they my have that is compensatible under state workers comp laws. Employers use this to keep their performance up, and their overall health package costs down.

I would suggest your friend not change his/her story until it is questioned. If it is at all. I would also suspect that having admitted to specific use that he/she will be passed up if it is that important to the person that asked the question.

Sorry for the rant but I an industry professional at this in my day job.

Chopper