Drum/BPM

adjusting wavefile speed on timeline

Hi, I just downloaded Drums on demand and i need some advice. When I insert a (73 BPM) drum loop to the timeline, is it possible to change loop to 75 BPM? I manage to speed up the drum loops in the wave file properties, but how do I set speed to exactly 75 BPM.
o0o0o0RR…am I confusing the speed of a wavefile with BPM?

hunter

Hi hunter:
I haven’t seen anyone replying to your topic/question… Sometimes these guys assume that everyone should know the answers to these types of questions…

I don’t very often use n-Track for editing MIDI loops or anything connected with tempo related work and edits…

However, the other week I wanted to see if I could insert a click track into a song using n-Track… I thought I had pretty good success… While it wasn’t perfect, I accepted the project as it came out and moved on…

How I can answer your question…

You are unable to change the tempo/speed of a file on the timeline to suit a particular BPM-or Tempo…

Then I came up with another project to see if I could do the same with it… NO-GO… I couldn’t move the BPM of the click track beyond the single beat per minute resolution… I wanted to get into something like a tenth of a minute res…

To the guys who reads this thread:
I know I was able to make the first project acceptable to my requests…

Could this have something to do with quantization?

How come I couldn’t create a click track on the second project? Has something changed in the beta versions that keeps me from continuing to create click tracks?

Bill…

[EDIT]
This idea might be something for you to consider…

I have experimented doing this to change the tempo/speed of songs…

If I have a song that I would like to bring the tempo up by some amount (with-in reason)… or to bring the tempo/speed down by some amount I would do that by changing the sample rate…

e.g. If you’re tracking your songs at 44.1 khz. and you want to bring the speed up by a small amount … Try changing the sample rate to say… 44.3 or 44.2 khz. then… play the song with the sample rate of 44.1khz. You will now have changed the tempo/speed of the song… On the other hand… if you want to change the tempo downward just do all that in the opposite direction…

Too-too much and the change will sound “Cheesy”…

To my knowledge there is no way to speed up/slow down a wave file using BPM - this would only affect MIDI tracks (and therein lies the beauty of MIDI). I would take the approach you’ve already used, hunter, and change the playback speed of the sample in the WAV file properties. 75/73=1.027 playback rate to speed it up to 75 BPM. However, I’m not sure I see a way to get the playback rate that exact in n-Track - you’d probaby have to use a wave editor that’s capapble of changing speed without affecting pitch. Bill is right, you can’t change it by a lot or it will get weird sounding, but 2 bpm should be doable.

That’s my take, though maybe someone has a better way.

(HotDogWater @ Jul. 23 2007,06:59)
To my knowledge there is no way to speed up/slow down a wave file using BPM - this would only affect MIDI tracks (and therein lies the beauty of MIDI). I would take the approach you’ve already used, hunter, and change the playback speed of the sample in the WAV file properties. 75/73=1.027 playback rate to speed it up to 75 BPM. However, I’m not sure I see a way to get the playback rate that exact in n-Track - you’d probaby have to use a wave editor that’s capapble of changing speed without affecting pitch. Bill is right, you can’t change it by a lot or it will get weird sounding, but 2 bpm should be doable.

That’s my take, though maybe someone has a better way.

Yeah, ok, I thin i got it. Thanks. Dang i just figured out the relationship between the BPM and the toggle snap to grid. My life is so much easier now!!! I have so much to learn sigh

thanks again