Drum Loops Into N Track

Hi,

I downloaded the trial version of fruity loops and it seems quite easy to make drum loops in there using the step sequencer and a drum kit Im just curious as to this. If you make a drum loop in Fruity Loops…

How do you import it into N Track? Im thinking create the drum loop and save it was a .WAV file and then bring it in.

What Im really wondering is how do you import the drum loop while still being able to change the tempo of the drum loop. E.g. is this possible. Create a drum loop in fruity and then import it and change the tempo say from 124BPM to 140BPM?

Im confused!

I think what you need to do is add FL as an instrument into n-track, ie, Track–>MIDI–>New Instrument Channel–>FL–>FL Studio VSTi et cetera. An FL window will pop-up and you arrange the drums as desired. You can also control the BPM in n-track and FL will respond accordingly.
Paul

Thanks a lot thats really useful…

^^^ that prolly won’t work if you have the trial version of Floops as you can’t save sessions. Mix down to wav and import into N is your best way to go.

As another option, you can use ReWire to control FL. This gives you pretty much the same control as the VSTi route but with lower CPU usage. I think that there may be a cheaper version of FL that contains the ReWire client but not the VSTi one, though I can’t exactly remember now.

<!–QuoteBegin>

As another option, you can use ReWire to control FL. This gives you pretty much the same control as the VSTi route but with lower CPU usage. I think that there may be a cheaper version of FL that contains the ReWire client but not the VSTi one, though I can’t exactly remember now.

That’s right. I have the entry-level version of FL and it supports rewire.

I could never get Floops to work very successfully with n using rewire, (it kinda sorta worked, sometimes) but that was with 3.3, so I don’t know how it works with newer versions of n.

However, Jhohan wrote a nice post about using Floops as a VSTi, which I copied at the time, and here it is:

<!–QuoteBegin>

1) Click ‘Track’…‘MIDI’…‘New VST Instrument Channel…’ and select 'FL Studio VSTi (multi)'

2) FL is now a VSTi instrument in N - To start up FL click the FL strawberry icon - This will start up the VSTi plug-in version of FL in full-screen mode (nice!)

3) Now (and this is the clever part, I thought) - In the FL mixer window, assign each of the FX tracks output to ‘FL 1, FL 2, FL 3’ up to FL 16.

For example, in the FL mixer window, highlight the ‘FX 1’ channel, and where it says ‘OUT’ at the bottom of the mixer window, click the dropdown, and select ‘FL 1’ from the list.

What this does is sends your FL mixer channel to an actual mixer track in N !

4) Now, you can assign you FL channels to whichever FX track you want. In the FL step sequencer window, click the first channel, (Which could be ‘Kick’ for example), in the channel settings window in the top RH corner, change it so that the FX setting reads '1’

The signal path then becomes;

Channel 1 (Bass) —> FL Mixer FX1 —> FL 1 (OUT) —> N mixer channel

Do this for all the channels you want to send to N. You don’t have to send each channel to a seperate FX channel, you can combine them (if you don’t need to have them as seperate tracks in N)

5) FL becomes a slave of N - You use the mixer in N, you apply compression/effects etc. in N, set the tempo in N (FL picks up the tempo changes from N). In fact, the Stop/Rewind/Play controls are sent to FL as well, you might find you have to click ‘Stop’ a couple of times before FL responds though… ???

FL and ntrack over ReWire is getting better, slowly but surely. I’ve got these hooked up fine with the latest 4.1 beta and while its still not quite as rock solid as the FL VSTi, its CPU usage is much, much lower (13% vs 40%). You also only get the number of outputs that you need (up to 16 stereo outs) rather than the choice of either 2 or 16 that you get with the VSTi.

Thanks John, I must give rewire and Floops and n a try again, but only after I’m no longer homeless. :D

Ali