Drum OH idea.  Opinions?

miking

I made this shockmount for one of my AT871-R boundary mics. anyone have an opinion to put forth on the viability of such a thing?

Hey, I’m going to try it anyway! But I’m after a more technical angle on it than I posses. I’ve tried it on some things already, but comparativley I wonder if this’ll stand up to using it on a larger flat surface. My aim is drum OH, and I can make a second one for the other mic. But if I get totally shot down here, well then,…

I’ll definitely do it! :;):

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Try it and if it sounds good, then it is good. Don’t confuse a condensor boundary mic with a PZM. A PZM would require a big surface to really wake up. It looks like you just have a condensor, so you should be swell.

Whether it works the way you want it, only trying it will tell. But it sure looks cool!!!

When I was in college (back in the late 70s), I got the responsibility of taking care of the sound and lighting of the college talent show. Since we didn’t have enough mics for the 3 stages (and numerous stage changes), the thought came up that we needed a shotgun mic. I had seen a DIY design with a parabola and a cardiod mic. So I tried to make one with a plastic bowel, etc. When we tried it out, it not only picked up what we were aiming at, but also someone sneezing in the back dressing room - with the door closed. Since it didn’t quite work the way we wanted, it ended up as a prop for one of the skits - cuz it looked so cool… :D

That’s a good story!

I gotta admit, it is kind of cool looking. Anything like this that carries a mic is neat, so it’s just the nature of it. And I’ll also admit I wanted to post a picture of it, to show off my DIY down-home garage-crafted-out-of-scraps shockmount… :p

I was concerned about the amount of surface the mic’s actually on though- not because it doesn’t record well this way, but I especially want to get a nice cymbal sound out of it- if the mic will do that! That means, to me, a pretty sensitive pickup, and I’m hoping the lack of a large contacting surface doesn’t shortchange that. I’m not quite set up in the studio space yet to use it with a kit, so I thought I’d post the idea.

So yeah, Bubba, I’m pretty sure it’s just a condenser. So that clears that up a bit for me, thanks!

The size of the surface required for a boundary mic is dependent on the low-frequency cut-off desired. Since cymbals primarily are high-frequency instruments you should be OK. Try it, if you like the sound it is fine, if you don’t think it captures the mids or lows well enough you might try mounting it on a panel of some sort per the guidelines on the Crown site (from the other thread). Alternateively you can just EQ with a shelving filter to either bring down the highs or boost the lows…

Jim

I make sense of that, since I’ve found that just leaving this mic on a stair tread in my house and running the recorder for a while (recording my kids) got a sound featuring a lot of mids and highs. Our stairs are narrow (old house), so there definitely wasn’t a lot of area for the mic.

Groovy. Gotta finish the room now!

Different surfaces make boundry mics do different things - and different things are often cool. I’ve found that my boundry mic on a metal sheet music stand works pretty well for a sort of raw acoustic sound. been wanting to put a boundry mic on a TV dish… :D

Quote (TomS @ April 24 2006,11:04)
Different surfaces make boundry mics do different things - and different things are often cool. I've found that my boundry mic on a metal sheet music stand works pretty well for a sort of raw acoustic sound. been wanting to put a boundry mic on a TV dish... :D

I had a Direct-TV dish, with the little thing coming off it that points back at it... but I threw it out. It just wasn't a good time to keep things. But it's a cool idea!

I keep my eyes open on trash day just in case…

Why not try mounting the mic on something large and flat, and then shockmounting THAT!

Sorry, I see on a closer look that it’s mounted on plexi. My bad!

Building a shock-mount for a 4x8 sheet of lexan would require quite a bit of material!

EDIT: Ah, I see. Yeah, a little round piece of one…

Hey Sloom, how did that rig do? I just realized that I have one of those boundary mic (but black). Have you patented the design yet?? :D

Hey, Van,

Didn’t use it yet! But I’m making another, and plan to use them with a band in a few weeks. My progress as a recordist is sort of a plodding through the density of family life, work (non-music, mostly), and a house that is trying to kill me. Now it’s a new roof- and it’s not typical construction (stone-rubble). I spare you!

But soon’s I get a result I’ll post about it. Maybe with a clip, if I get the guys’ permission.

Patent?! :laugh: …I’ve tossed that around, believe it or not. Might be interesting to apply! Might also be interesting to then go to Audio-Technica with it. But I tend to think it’s a reach.

No chance of a patent. All the basic ideas are already public domain and you don’t want to spend upwards of US$30,000 to find that out.

Jim

Quote (jimbob @ April 26 2006,21:00)
No chance of a patent. All the basic ideas are already public domain and you don't want to spend upwards of US$30,000 to find that out.

Jim

Glad to hear it, frankly! The pressure's off... :D

Anytime I get into that state of mind, when you're trying to "own" an idea, it makes my brow furrow up. Even if it's kind of silly, like this thing.

But, think of the things that get "invented" on a regular basis. The idea that we're very close, genetically speaking, to chimpanzees, seems alarmingly plain. Not to mention funny!

Thanks for the heads-up.
Quote (Sloom @ April 26 2006,19:11)
My progress as a recordist is sort of a plodding through the density of family life, work (non-music, mostly), and a house that is trying to kill me. Now it's a new roof-

Yup, I can relate to the frustration. It's called "tyranny of the urgent". I have the same problem. The "stupid" gets in the way of the "important".

Well, if I can find some time, I just might make one of those things - if not for anything else than another prop. Can you envision someone in a 1920s garb singing in front of that?? Cool!! (I know, I'm weird...)

Yeah, I can see it, which helps to account for the fact that I like it! It has that oldie CBS-vibe, kind of. It could actually be much smaller, for such a purpose, if it sounded good that way. In fact it might give up a cool effect, if you treated it right (do the “Old Radio” Eq preset with it)! But this opportunity happened along- I’d been wanting a stereo mounting trip for this mic.

The only issue I’m having now for the rest of it is how to mount it. It weighs something, as that’s a pretty dense Masonite ring. Also the mic has just a little heft (I also have a couple rings made of what appears to be rattan or bamboo, and they’re much lighter, but not as rugged I don’t think).

I have some heavy metal strap I may make an ‘X’ across the back of it with, and where the X joins I’d like to fix a locking swivel with a little female termination that would thread onto a mic stand boom. The I’d clamp the mic stand boom to a joist in the cieling. Drum hardware might have an answer to this idea.

Note: Those are little machine screw-eyes, and washers and bolts holding the shock cord… pre-drilled holes. Home Depot is good for something besides twisted 2x3’s! Got the cord from a discount fabric outlet. The plastic is Lexan- very stiff.

Anyway, I’ll get back to finishing this just as soon as there’s a new roof on our house. :) Gotta go!..

I was just thinking about asking you more details of your construction. I was wondering if you had taken a giant cross-stitch hoop from your wife, or something. Thanks for the info. Now to find some time…

I imagine that it would have some weight to it. Those mics are surprisingly heavy. I actually have 2, but one is mounted to the underside of a grand piano lid at the church. We had a bit of problem with it wanting to fall off. I think we have it licked with some silicone glue, etc.