Drummies for Dummies

also posted on AM

Ok,
I got leafdrums, a drum program, a while back. It is easy to use, intuitive and altogether simple.
…the problem…is … Well, the problem is that I’m not a drummer. I have played with many over the years, but I CAN’T PLAY DRUMS! I don’t understand them, I marvel at anyone who can play or comprehend what happens when.

I sat down today to program a drum rhythm–it sounded like a room full of toddlers with pans and spoons and too many cupcakes for lunch… Is there some sort of tutorial out there that explains the whys and wherefores of drum kits? Or drum programming for the rhythmicly challenged? simple examples of what a drum rhythm might look like in leafdrums?

I know I’m in for a long learning curve here, but right now I feel like I’m in a room with 999 monkeys…with typewriters…

help me.

Peace,
-Ed

If you want a basic drum beat going, keep in mind that most drummers have two arms and two legs (some not even that, like Rick Allen) and don’t trigger too many sounds at once :)

Start with Tweak

…and go from there.

Google is your friend!

The above link was a search for midi “drum pattern*” which brought up some interesting stuff. There was all sorts of stuff - including links to freebies and files.

Around result #11 there was a tutorial from www.computermusic.co.uk which is that neat UK magazine with CDs stuck on the front. It reminded me that Computer Music and Future Music magazines have frequently published tutorials on creating beats in a certain style. Check their site and look for the magazine.

One thing I used to do is to look for complete MIDI songs in the style you’re interested in, and isolate the drum track (channel 10). You can then analyse the track or -gasp- grab a few bars and edit to fit your needs. Some may regard this as dangerously close to copyright infringement, so use your discretion and better judgement. There is nothing wrong with studying something to learn from it, in any event.

arch,
Thanks, dude! I found everything I’ll ever need HERE :laugh:

Seriously,tho, thanks for the pointer. I’m finding that the more I look, the less I know…

Peace,
-Ed

Quote (teryeah @ Sep. 27 2004,17:05)
If you want a basic drum beat going, keep in mind that most drummers have two arms and two legs (some not even that, like Rick Allen) and don't trigger too many sounds at once :)

That be good advice...

1st midi drum tracks I made, friend of mine walked in and asked - you have an octopus playing drums for you ?

At one time, only four things can happen.

Think simple at first. You’ll be surprised at how many more notes you’ll hear.

But, there really isn’t anything wrong with programming parts a real drummer wouldn’t or couldn’t play. Some of the most interesting drum stuff I’ve heard was done by folks that didn’t know squat about drums. A real drummer programming part, which is a great alternative, may not come up with as refreshing parts as someone that doesn’t know drums. I tend to throw away stuff because I fell like a real drummer wouldn’t be able to play it. That can be a creative hindrance.

So, it depends on what you are going for. There are times an octopus on the drumset is appropriate. Sometimes all you need is a metronome.

Quote (phoo @ Sep. 28 2004,11:06)
Think simple at first. You'll be surprised at how many more notes you'll hear.

But, there really isn't anything wrong with programming parts a real drummer wouldn't or couldn't play. Some of the most interesting drum stuff I've heard was done by folks that didn't know squat about drums. A real drummer programming part, which is a great alternative, may not come up with as refreshing parts as someone that doesn't know drums. I tend to throw away stuff because I fell like a real drummer wouldn't be able to play it. That can be a creative hindrance.

So, it depends on what you are going for. There are times an octopus on the drumset is appropriate. Sometimes all you need is a metronome.

Drum machines usually don't sound like real drummers anyway, it is soooooo hard to make them sound right, so my attitude when working with a machine is "let it sound like a machine." Nothing muscially wrong with that!

:)

Another Link

Hearing the mention of Computer Music magazine reminded me that I’ve never seen a reference on this board to:

Sound on Sound magazine. It has a great site at http://www.soundonsound.com/. They have a large archive of articles and equipment reviews.

Mike F