dual boot

can I set it up on a laptop without loss

Just curious, I have a “business” laptop, it is so crazy with “stuff”, but the hard drive has lotsa space, could I set it up to boot to a partition of the hard drive that is only for recording?

Right now, the IT people have me by the balls when it comes to sign-in passwords, etc, it is driiving me nuts.

i’ve done google searches, but I cant find anything that tells a Non=tech person how to do this without reformatting the disk.

Can it be done safely on an existing machine withou losing the business data?

There is a program called “Partition Magic” that is supposed to be able to do this. However, where I work, doing this to a company-owned computer would be grounds for an ass-whuppin’.
:cool:

Yep. What john said. :)

Partition Magic is great. HOWEVER… I would be careful about doing it on a company owned box unless I had permission. Man’s gotta earn a livin’…

TG

And do you really NEED to???

Have you just fired it up and tested it out?
I used to run a Toshiba Sattelite with N3.x with no problem (and I was programming so there was a lot of “stuff” on it.)

I’m currently using a Gateway laptop with a Motu828mkII with no modification (although I refuse to put games on it, I use all my other PC software with no problems.)

Test before you drive yourself crazy setting up a dual-boot system…

be very careful with partition magic… when it works, it is absolutely wonderful… but, when it fails for some reason, it can be a nightmare… have a disaster recovery plan for sure…

my suggestion is to first buy a piece of software called, “norton ghost”… there are competitors that do the same thing, and get better ratings from users, just that i’ve never used those others… ghost works fine for me… it will take a snapshot of your hard drive and it will restore it back to that same point should you encounter trouble… keep in mind that this ghost “image” is NOT the same thing as the xp “restore point”…

of course, you mentioned passwords… if you’re using the ntfs file system, and do not have administrative privileges to take ownership of objects, then you will run into problems… the security exists to prevent not only you, but any malicious intent user from altering/reading the contents of portions of the drive…

that said, i have worked in i.t. for some time now… and yes, i have restricted people’s permissions to prevent this very thing… honestly, their intentions were harmless, but the consequences of allowing installations can be great… the other guy’s are right on about differtiating between company/private permissiveness…

have you tried just installing and keeping your n-track files in a folder to which you have access?.. this is per tim’s suggestion…

best of luck!
isaac

I’m also using a work laptop for ntracks. I don’t use my work account though. I logged in as administrator and have ntracks and my soundcard installed on that account so it won’t interfere with my business account setup. Perhaps that wil help?

The advise of isaac is good, backup before do something. Partition Magic is a good proggie, but is expensive and has some problems (like all the proggies in this area) there are some others, similar and cheaper, i remember now “Acronis Disk Director”. If you dont want to spent money for use it once, you can look for the bootable CD of Knoppix, a linux distro, that includes a Clone of Partition Magic, if i correctly remember.

Thanks to all that replied,
yep the IT dept has totally taken over the field business laptops, sign in and they have you…I dont have a choice anymore on even non-business “stuff”…I cant sign in as another user… they got me.

I’ve tried to google search how to get out of this, but have found nothing that will help.

Thanks,

I need another partition that they can not control and add all that business stuff to…still searching.

Chiller

Just be carefull… as John posted above, the last couple of places I worked installing any non-approved software was grounds for immediate dismissal (and if you screw up partitions you may not be able to cover your tracks before taking it back into the IT dept to get it fixed…)

Since I >was< the IT dept I could “test” out any software I wanted…

Quote (chiller @ June 06 2005,22:11)
yep the IT dept has totally taken over the field business laptops, sign in and they have you....I dont have a choice anymore on even non-business "stuff"...I cant sign in as another user... they got me.

I've tried to google search how to get out of this, but have found nothing that will help.

Thanks,

I need another partition that they can not control and add all that business stuff to...still searching.

Chiller

I think the very fact that they have taken this approach tells you what their attitute would be to you setting up a separate partition that they cannot control. After all, it is their computer!

Last company I worked at gave field workers laptops and prohibited use for any personal reasons as part of the agreement signed by the worker when taking the machine, although they didn't physically control the contents.

However, one guy I knew got canned for installing and running some personal stuff (nothing sinister whatsoever), and the Union told him straight up that, having signed that agreement, he had no case for unfair dismissal and just had to deal with it.

Best suggestion I can make would be to get your own computer to record on.