Dumb VST Question

All you techno-smart folks:

I know this is probably a “Geee, that’s dumb question,” but I downloaded the free VST plug-in called GlaveVerb looking for some interesting reverb options for vocals and strings. The file was saved in C:\Program\Steinburg\VSTplugins…

When I open up n-Track I can not access it even when I restarted the pc. Should I move the file to C:\Programs\FASoft
-Track Studio 4… and then restart the pc?

I appreciate the time you will take to answer this newbie question and it may help any others to embassed to ask. ???

Thanks, Beth

Hi,
Since this isn’t obvious at all, no-one should be embarrassed to ask.
Try this:
- From the menu, select File–>Settings–>Preferences
- Select the “Paths” tab
- Click the “Set VST-folders in Effects Settings dialog box” button
- At the bottom of the dialog that appears is a box with the folder that n-Track searches for VST-plugins
- You can either add and select the folder that you put your plugins in or move your plugins to the folder that is displayed here.
- Restart n-Track and your plugins should be found
Good luck!

Hi Beth,

Yes, you can copy the file to the n-Track VST directory if you want. If you double click an effects insert slot, a dialog box will open. The bottom left of that box has a button labeled “Settings”. Click that and you will be presented with another dialog box and a bunch of controls to manage your plugins. Included there is a “Rescan” button or similar. If you click that n will rescan the directory specified and include any newly found plugins in the listing. It’s pretty much self expanatory once you get to that “Settings” box…

Hope this helps.

D

I assume you’re talking about Dasample GlaceVerb. It is an .exe and has to be installed like a normal programme. If you double click on it ,it should start installing itself, just point it to your vst folder and it should work. It’s a nice reverb.

Oop! I believe Sinbad is right! Glaceverb comes as an executable…

D

Thanks to all your great comments it works!

Here is what I did:
1. Moved the folder to the FASoft VST plug-ins (for a convenient location)
2. Opened n-Track, file, settings, preferences, paths
3. Opened Set VST folders in Effects Setting Dialog box
4. located GlaceVerb in the disabled section (to right)
5. Clicked the red arrow to enable
6. Cosed and restart n-Track

Under Effects the GlaceVerb will appear under VST effects.

Wow, I got to tell you, this has a lot of pretty cool effects. I was looking for some new vocal enhancements – they are there, some effects for our violinist – ta, da, there are string effects, and some good effects for a real drum kit – again, they are there.

If anyone wants to add a boat load of new VST effects in one package then GlaceVerb is an option you may want to try. I did not try SIR yet but saw many accolades on that.

Thanks so very much, Beth
:D

for future reference, VST plugins are all supposed to be located in one folder. DirectX can be dispersed throughout the computer.

for future reference, VST plugins are all supposed to be located in one folder. DirectX can be dispersed throughout the computer.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Yes, and no. n-Track (from V4 onwards?) lets you add multiple folders to the Vst search.

And yes, Beth, Glaceverb is a great reverb plug. However, have you tried SIR?

:slight_smile:

Mark

And how have I not known about this plugin for so long?

<!–QuoteBegin>

And how have I not known about this plugin for so long?

Keep up Bubba… You’re not actually out there recording music rather than talking about it are yer?

:slight_smile:

Mea culpa… right right… talk about it… don’t do it… Sigh, when will I learn. :p Though the band EP is coming along. Drop over to AM where I have been essentially blogging the whole process. (Sorry, proud poppa syndrome.)

Mark A asked <!–QuoteBegin>

And yes, Beth, Glaceverb is a great reverb plug. However, have you tried SIR?

I have been reluctant to try SIR so far, because the web site says it is used for stereo tracks and I want a reverb plug in that can be used on individual mono tracks. Has anyone used it like that before I down load it?

Thanks, Beth

You really should be using reverb in an aux channel which negates the need for you to worry about mono/stereo. Slap SIR in an aux and off you go.

Do what Bubba says Beth. You’ll be amazed at the CPU cycles you’ll save by having ONE reverb in an Aux buss versus eight instances of the reverb plugin scattered through the mixer on channel inserts. Your system will run smoother. Reverb is one of the most CPU intensive effects out there. Specially convolution reverbs like SIR. Convolution 'verbs sound extremely good but come with a heavy hit on your CPU usage.

D

Yep. What Bubba and D said…

Yeah, what Mark and D said. :D

Yeah, what… what? Geez. Now I’m lost…

D

BUT…no one answered the question. :)

Yes, you can use SIR on a mono track. To do that you have to check the Expand mono track to stereo option in the track properties. You’ll need to know about this before used some other plug-ins, too. Many only work in stereo.