Dummy audio devices...

…is there such a thing?

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a dummy audio device that acts as a WDM (or ASIO) soundcard, but in reality is nothing more than a disk writer.

I ran into a situation where I needed to slice an 18 minute segment out of a 79 minute session, but needed all sixteen tracks. Basically it’s going to another studio for mixing. I wound up using ntracks mixdown but only mixing the selected portion with no master channel, and only selecting one channel. Although this worked, it was quite cumbersome and time consuming.

I thought that if there was a dummy audio device/disk writer I could assign each track to an instance of it and write out 16 (24/48K) tracks which are a portion of the original.

Any ideas?

.-=gp=-.

What about “TapeIt”. I think that might do what you want…

http://www.silverspike.com/?Products:TapeIt

HTH

Mark

Dude!

That’s exactly what I was looking for! In three days of Googling every combination of audio, device, dummy, disk writer, output plugin, blah, foo, etc… I couldn’t find it.

Should have asked sooner!

Thanks very much
.-=gp=-.

1 - turn on "snap to grid"

2 - drag the ends of each wav file to the beginning and end of the section that you want. (“snap to grid” insures that the slection lines up across all the tracks)

3 - solo the first track and do a mixdown of only that track

4 - repeat step 3 for the remaining 15 tracks

it’s a bit time consuming, but I believe this is what you seek.

:cool:

Nevermind. That’s what you did the first time.

I’m not sure I understand the benefits of using “Tape-It” for this task, though…

:cool:

I agree with John. I think Tape-It would not be the best choice, though it does look like a nice utility to have for lots of other stuff.

Do what John suggested (and you did already possibly) to get just the part of the tracks you want playing in n-Tracks (dragging the wave handles). Instead of doing a mixdown of each track use the Freeze function in V4 to freeze each track. Copy the underlying freeze wave files, or rename them, and you will have the files you need. Deleteing the freeze files or renaming them won’t cause an perminent damage to the song. Just unfreeze and the originals will come back.

There’s a new function in V4.1 that can be used to flatten multiple waves referenced in a single track to a single wave file. That might be a better option, but I haven’t used it yet so i don’t know if it will work for your purposes, but I think it will. It should be better than hi-jacking freeze files. I’ll find out next time I need to do that.

Quote (phoo @ July 08 2005,06:07)
I agree with John. I think Tape-It would not be the best choice, though it does look like a nice utility to have for lots of other stuff.

Do what John suggested (and you did already possibly) to get just the part of the tracks you want playing in n-Tracks (dragging the wave handles). Instead of doing a mixdown of each track use the Freeze function in V4 to freeze each track. Copy the underlying freeze wave files, or rename them, and you will have the files you need. Deleteing the freeze files or renaming them won't cause an perminent damage to the song. Just unfreeze and the originals will come back.

There's a new function in V4.1 that can be used to flatten multiple waves referenced in a single track to a single wave file. That might be a better option, but I haven't used it yet so i don't know if it will work for your purposes, but I think it will. It should be better than hi-jacking freeze files. I'll find out next time I need to do that.

Dude!

That's exactly what I was looking for! In three days of Googling every combination of audio, device, dummy, disk writer, output plugin, blah, foo, etc.. I couldn't find it.

Should have asked sooner!

Thanks very much
.-=gp=-.

You're welcome. Saying that, John's suggestion may be better than using TapeIt.

Mark

I wasn’t dissing your suggestion. I was going by what chutz was trying to do, which was get a separate wave file for a part of each track. Freeze will do virtually the same thing that Tape-It will do for his purpose and it’s already there.

Anyway, I think it’s really cool that Tape-It will work as multiple instances and keep the output waves synced (Tape-It 2, the not free version according to the tapeit page). I wonder I’m familiar with an older version (a few years ago - pre-Tape-It 1?) so I didn’t realize it would do that now.

I was thinking he’d still have to solo the tracks and render them one at a time.Tape-IT says “Use more than one instance of TapeIt simultaneously (e.g. do multiple track bounces at once).” Does that mean 16 instances of Tape-It will create 16 separate waves in one shot or does that mean it will send all 16 to one mixed wave?

<!–QuoteBegin>

I wasn’t dissing your suggestion. I was going by what chutz was trying to do, which was get a separate wave file for a part of each track. Freeze will do virtually the same thing that Tape-It will do for his purpose and it’s already there.

It’s cool Phoo. I answered the question; you gave an alternative (better) solution. I’ve not used TapeIt, (I just remembered seeing it somewhere). I use Freeze (or before that, a mixdown of one track).

Mark

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

John - Ultimately that’s what I did, I just turned off the main section and mixed down 1 track at a time - It was cumbersome and time consuming. But it worked.

Phoo - I’m a cheapskate - still on 3.3 - although I’m convinced that I need to move to V4 now.

As far as I can tell, tape-it should work, it seems that with a tape-it instance in each track I can just play the song and tape-it sends each track to it’s own wave file.

Either way, thank you gentlemen for another brilliant and insightful answer.

.-=gp=-.