Ear maintenance

Tips for healthy otic organs

Sorry to be yucky. I often get blocked, or partly blocked, eustachian tubes. I also give my poor ears some abuse through skiing in winter and mountain walking in summer - rapid changes of altitude, cold winds and so on, and they respond by getting waxy. I have tried a few ear cleaning products but never been really happy with them. Also, long sessions using closed headphones seems to cause wax build up. Can anyone recommend any products or methods to maintain clean healthy ears that are always working optimally?
Thanks, cheers
TusterBuster

I often get blocked, or partly blocked, eustachian tubes.
My son has to have tubes put in his ears to drain his eustachian tubes. I don't know if they do that to adults but it worked very well for my son. He's OK now he's older, and the tubes fall out on their own eventually.

Yes, it’s done for adults, too. If you get ear infections ofter or get fluid built up behind your eardrum then you’re a good candidate for tubes. They are pain if you go swimminf though since any water getting in your ear has a clear path to your inner ear. Earplugs are a MUST. Tubes do nothing for wax buildup. That’s a different problem.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure that I need a treatment so serious as tubes being implanted; I don’t have fluid build-up or frequent infections. My ears work well enough for “normal use” but I sometimes feel they don’t work as well as I would like for recording. I was hoping for a response like “try Dr. Eustachian’s Miracle Nose Drops for Audio Professionals”!

I’m glad your boy was fixed, Mr. Soul.

Happy tracking
TusterBuster

Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 20 2005,13:03)
My son has to have tubes put in his ears to drain his eustachian tubes.

Wow, I've never heard of that. Is it painful?

Wow, I've never heard of that. Is it painful?
I'm sure it might be were it not for the anesthesia they used to put my son to sleep. :D I don't think he felt anything. It is surgery and he had it done twice. He never got another ear infection while the tubes were in.

Ohhh, okay. I thought maybe they just shoved them in there or something. That would hurt.

You mean like those brain-sucking creatuers on the Wrath of Khan or something? :laugh: That hurt!

Yeah, yeah. That would suck. I recently read this story about a woman who woke up during eye surgery one time (cornea replacement or something), but was unable to move or speak to alert the doctors.

Six or so years later she’s STILL traumatized, and hasn’t slept lying down since.

(Haha, that sounds like an urban legend, but it was a real article, I swear!!!)

I have a genetic propensity to a buildup of ear wax, about once a month I have to clean it out. It’s actually really easy:

Use 1-2% Hydrogen Peroxide (the usual drugstore stuff for cuts and scraps - NOT THE HAIR BLEACHING STRENGTH!), dilute 50/50 with water, pour about a tablespoon into the ear canal, and tip your head so gravity keeps it there. It fizzes like crazy and tickles like your wouldn’t believe. After about 30 seconds to a minute, let it drain, then use a rubber aspirator bulb to wash out the ear canal with warm water (warmer the better, it softens the wax). Usually 3-4 rinses and presto high-frequency sounds are back again.

This was recommended to me by my regular physician, I’ve been doing it for 20+ years and other than some fierce tickling it’s worked very well.

Hope this helps.

.-=/gp=-.

Google is your friend. :)

Thanks for the helpful hints. I’ll report back!
Cheers
TusterBuster (Eh? Wossisay?)