Edit->Insert

Inserting Measures

I have a few questions and some possible suggestions about this menu item. First, how do I unselect a specific track so that inserting a measure applies to all tracks? I have managed to do this so I know it’s possible but haven’t been able to do it consistently.

This is a very handy feature to have when laying out a song, I often come up with verse and chorus parts then go back and add measures for a bridge etc. But one frustrating feature of this command is that inserting a measure doesn’t move your markers and tempo/time changes. I can’t think of any reason why you wouldn’t want this to happen.

I’ve been trying to add several measures to the beginning of a project with lots of time signature changes. I added 8 measures at the start then tried adding 8 to each of the sig changes, unfortunately the changes didn’t land where they should. Not sure if I made a mistake in the process or if there is more to this than it appears.

Quote (Earache @ Mar. 29 2005,09:53)
First, how do I unselect a specific track so that inserting a measure applies to all tracks? I have managed to do this so I know it's possible but haven't been able to do it consistently.

In ver. 4.04, I've done this in the "timeline" by putting the cursor where I want the inserted measures to go--HOWEVER, if you highlight an area across all tracks by dragging on the time "ruler" above the tracks, this seems to take precedence over the cursor location as far as where the measures will be inserted. I don't have 3.3 handy to see if it behaves any differently.
Quote (Earache @ Mar. 29 2005,09:53)
But one frustrating feature of this command is that inserting a measure doesn't move your markers and tempo/time changes. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want this to happen.

Perhaps this is something to suggest to Flavio? Even if it has been suggested before, it won't hurt to put your "vote" in!

HTH :cool:

Tony

Click on the timeline itself – where the time values are displayed, the bars above and below the waveform display area.

Cool thanks, I spent my free time last night playing with Jamstix and didn’t think to test this out but it makes sense. I was probably doing this inadvertently when positioning the cursor but the last selected track stays highlighted so there was no indication that it was un-selected.

I’ll definitely send my suggestions to Flavio. On a related note, is there a way to select more than one track? I expected the windows standard ctrl key to allow me to do this, and when selecting a section of a track I was only able to select from the current track or all tracks if the cursor slips outside the top or bottom of the track.

You can add to your current selection of parts by holding Shift.

But you’re right, being able to add entire tracks (via the trackbar header) would be much easier.

teej

I agree that “insert measures” should cause all marks and tempo changes to shift accordingly. The fact that they don’t is a bug.