Editing several tracks

I’m beginning to use V5 and I’m got some basic questions. Here’s the first one…

I have figured out how to splice several tracks at the same time but is there a way, once you splice them, to drag all of the timelines together at once? If I highlight all the tracks I can move them all together but how do I drag the timelines all together?

Hold shift while clicking on each segment (splice/timeline, whatever you call it) to select multiple segments, then hold ctrl while dragging any one of the selected segments. All of the selected segments will move together.

Quote:

Hold shift while clicking on each segment (splice/timeline, whatever you call it) to select multiple segments, then hold ctrl while dragging any one of the selected segments. All of the selected segments will move together.

Well, I knew this was going to be hard to explain.

I figured out how to get all of the segments to move together but I just want to slide the beginning of the segments to shorten them while they stay in the same place. I don't want the segments to move, I want to drag all the starting points together to shorten the segments.

Maybe it will help if I explain what I'm trying to do. Drum edits in n-Track were a pain in the butt because you had to tweak each segment individually. I had understood that in V5 you could splice and move the beginning or end timelines of a group of segments together. I've figured out how to splice the segments together but I can't figure out how to move the start or end points of the segments together.

OK, I get what you’re trying to do. I don’t know how to do that.

select the piece you want to alter - ZOOM IN on it - you will the soon be able to see a HANDLE in the centre at each end of the selected area - click and drag to alter start and end positions (selected area stays in position) -

Dr J

Yes, but can you grab and drag the ends of all at the same time, or is one at a time the limit?

UNFORTUNATELY NOT - if the tracks are all butted up hard against the timeline start, then they can be spliced (cut) as one - if the tracks start at different positions along the timeline - then individualy they can be trimmed to within 1/128 of a measure by using snap to grid (i think thats 1/32 of a beat which is a very small area, so a reasonable accuracy across all tracks can be obtained) - or conversly use volume automation to bring the audio in and out at the points required - pity we cant see a screenshot, that would be a great help -

Dr J

I think Mr. Rabbit answered my question. I messed around with this for about a half hour and I couldn’t find a way to drag the start or end points all together to change the length of several tracks at once. Maybe I’ll put this in as a feature request.

just send in a feedback form asking flavio to make it work - it is about the only SHIFT/click-drag feature that does not work -

Dr J

Click on one of the X that are used to drag a track, the Hold down the shift key and click on each one of the X for the tracks you want to drag - all of the tracks selected this way can be moved together.
Bax