Eeek II

song copyright

When the forum members put their songs up in this forum or SC, do they automatically acquire copyright protection?

Yes. Copyright vests when you record the song in some way (sheet music, cassette tape, wax cylinder…). But it helps to register the copyright - as evidence that it is yours.

Be aware though that if you update a song, it has the newer date on it…

Quote:

Famam Extendimus Factis

uh-oh!!

What is the implication of updating your song (and have a new date?) Are you still covered? And is your original still covered?

The actual copyright is secured when you put your signature with the copyright symbol and date on a printed or hand written copy of your tune. copyright date does not change but it needs to be registered. most folks register in a collection to save money.

i found loads of usefull info on the bbc website a few weeks ago. As far as I understand putting your music up on the internet could only help to prove that you are the owner of a piece of music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/legal/copyrightp01.shtml

You could simply look at your song as bait :agree: This brings up a great subject! The librairy of congress is a dinosaur. :disagree:

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jul. 10 2009, 7:52 AM)

Quote:

Famam Extendimus Factis

uh-oh!!

What is the implication of updating your song (and have a new date?) Are you still covered? And is your original still covered?

Really, the verses, lyrics, melody and signiture licks are all you care about.
Just think about all the money you throw away copyrighting every song.
And unfortunately most songs just end up collecting dust.
Do a common law copyright and rely on witness's. Untill or unless your hooked up with a publisher or major lable doing heavy distrbution.

Updateing a song usually doesn't change to much of the song data.
It's a silly game to me.
Screw the present copyright process.
They need to get caught up with the times.
Charge a whole lot less.

Someone could buddy up with an attorney or a notary republic.
Open a web site collect songs and notarize them!
Stamp them good and protected for 3 bucks a song and make a killing if it caught on.
You should take some measure to protect your songs.
I used to register them but now you'll see CLc2009 etc. Commmon Law Copyright
And I like the idea of haveing them up as bait lol