effects on piano roll composition

can’t get effects to work

i have a whole song programmed using the built in synth and piano roll/ drums, bass, strings. i want to put some reverb and chorus on these tracks individually and in the master mix but i am not even getting a signal in the input vu in the effects window. can you add efects to a midi track or do i have to do something to these tracks before i can use the efects on them?

can you add efects to a midi track or do i have to do something to these tracks before i can use the efects on them?

I believe that you need explain a little better.
What kind of effect you want to add to the midi tracks? VST ones or the effects for midi of your soundcard?
Have you converted your midi tracks to waves or are you working with midi only?

Keep in mind that if you are working with midi tracks trough your soundcard synth, VST effects will not affect to midi tracks. You need use a VSTinstrument or Wave file to add this kind of FX.

Think you should convert to WAV first, and then apply all kind of effects.

Yup, if you are using the built in synth, you must render first. If you are using DXi or VSTi soft synths, then you can add effects without rendering. One note, some synths do have built in effects in which case you will use CC91 to control the reverb amount.