Effects

how do i add effects to part of a track?

how do i put effects only only on a portion of a track and not the whole thing? i know that some plugins don’t have these capabilities, but for the ones that do, how do i do it??? thanks.

Well, depending on the type of effect you wish to apply to the section would dictate the method to use.
If it is an effect that you would normally use on an Aux send, you could just draw Aux send and return volume envelopes.
If it is more a dynamic effect that you would use as an insert, you can clone the track and apply the effect to the clone then draw volume envelopes on the two tracks to represent how you want the effect to be applied.
If you post what it is exactly you are trying to do, we could recommend a method.

-Edit to add- If you have automate-able effects, you can draw effects parameter envelopes.

Another way is to create an empty track and move it directly below the first. Select a part where you want effect and use “Edit -> Nondesrtuctive -> Splice”. Then control-shift-drag the part to the track below. Apply the effect on the new track only.

This method is easier than drawing volume envelopes for parts like vocals where there are gaps between phrases, making it easy to pick the splice points. It’s also easier to see what you’ve done regardless of what tool is selected.

For any technique that involves duplicating a track, it’s often a good idea to also send them both to a group. Then you put any FX that go on both tracks on the group, and you adjust the level on the group (so that they’re both changed the same way).

thanks guys. i’m pretty much speaking in general. but the effects that i personally would use only on part of a track would be reverb, echo, and EQ most often. i’ll give it a shot and see if i can get lucky and get this right. :o)

Crankz1 said “the kind you’d put on an aux bus” because there are basically two kinds of FX: additive and mutative.

Additive effects are like echo and reverb, where you take the FX output and add it to the original (“dry”) signal. These work well on an aux bus.

Mutative FX include EQ, tube emulators, and pitch transposers and correctors. With these FX, you replace the original signal with the altered one.

Some FX can work both ways. Compression is normally mutative, but it can be used in an additive way. Ditto for pitch shifting, which is used additively for pitch shift doubling or mutatively for transposing.

The bottom line is you simply need to know whether the FX you’re using adds to the original signal or replaces it. That dictates how you can use it (on alt buses, etc.) It’s an important thing to have a good understanding of as a mixing engineer.

So, for echo and reverb, you can use an aux bus and crankz1’s method of adjusting the aux sends. For EQ, you need to put it on the channel, not on an aux bus. (There are exceptions to this rule, like if you’re only boosting. But unless you understand the reasons, stick with the rule.)

BTW, I use the word “rule” liberally. The only rule that you should never break is “do what works”. And you can even break that rule in order to learn stuff.

My trick has always been: Clone the track, apply the effect(s) to the cloned track only, then use a steep-slope pan to the cloned track in the areas where you want the FX to be heard then pan back out.

This is one of those “many ways to skin the cat” (if you are into that) questions. Use whatever way you find easiest. Mine is the Irishman’s way, but, hey, it works! :D

HTH

Don

I think you mean volume evolution (fade), not pan – pan would only shift it left and right. Volume evolution is the method Crankz1 offered above. It’s a good method. I find that “cut” is even easier, when there’s silence between parts (as with vocals). Try that sometime – it really works great. Much less tedious than dragging volume nodes.