Electronic Drums

Nah Tim, it’s Isaac. if it was Dave THAT would have been a problem…

Quote (idover @ June 29 2005,10:19)
sadly, i would have to purchase sonar, though… something i’d prefer to avoid… i was very close to buying adobe audition last week, but thankfully decided to hold off… it seems that the <$100 for n-track offers more features that i use than some of these other tools… i am fairly certain that audition doesn’t even allow for midi recording, which is something i need at the moment… i had high hopes for the mididrum utility, but i can’t get it to work right now… maybe i’ll contact the author…

thanks!
isaac

Right. This is why I am a VERY HAPPY n-Track devotee. It gets the job done. Sonar Producer is like $600!! ??? I can’t see paying that for a bunch of stuff I’ll never use…

TG

Adobe Audition is a wave editor first but it happens to do mutli-tracks, though not nearly as well as n-Tracks. I’ve only used that feature in Audition when doing 5.1 encoding of mixdowns from n-Tracks (yes it can output waves so they can be encoded as 5.1). N-tracks on the other hand is not a wave editor. I use them together. I need both.

Isaac, you asked for the difference between Cubase and Nuendo.

If you’re just working on audio, then the answer is “not much”.

Cubase will do 7.1 surround, but Nuendo will do 10.2.

Nuendo also has improved networking capabilities, so if you’re working in collaboration over a network, it has its pluses.

But the biggest difference is the fact that Nuendo is intended as a multi-media app, it’s the one you want if you’re the new Quentin Tarrantino.

Although you can sync Cubase with movies like you can in n-track, Nuendo has a whole bunch of extra multi-media bells and whistles.

And that’s about it I think. :)

thanks, sceptic… for the moment, i’ve decided that n-track will fit my needs… also, i purchased a usb midi device that came with some midi sequencing software… i’ve discovered that the mididrum utility will work with the midi files that program creates… but it continues to throw exceptions whenever i attempt to split any midi file that was exported from n-track…

nonetheless, i am now up and running and recording with the generic “music studio kit” from voyetra… i am able to split those midi files and import them into n-track as i was hoping to do… one thing i discovered is that you must select channel 10 when recording from the set…

so far, i’m loving the td6 kit!.. my only issue with it right now are the brush samples… not really happy with them… the other kits on the module are great, though!..

thanks, guys!

isaac

Great Isaac. :D

But see Learjeff’s posts on the probs with USB.

I personally couldn’t always get accurate timing with USB2 on my midi keyboard.

In the end I reverted to the old fashioned DIN MIDI UART, and it’s been faultless ever since.

Ali

well, i finally was able to get a drum part into separate audio tracks, but not without a fight… for some reason, i was unable to solo midi tracks in n-track for a good while… then automagically, it just started working… weird…

anyway, i simply output the stereo outputs from the drum head to my mixer… then used n-track to solo each midi track (each is also a drum piece) and just recorded a single audio track for each piece… thankfully, the piece was only about 2.5 minutes… i believe that there were 8/9 midi tracks, so the entire process took close to half an hour… it would be great to automate such a thing… the other problem is that this process introduced a bit of noise into the tracks that would not exist if only using midi… but i expect this is due to the crappy chinese manufactured mixer that i am using…

before any of the above, i used the mididrum utility to split the pieces… however, i still have trouble using the utility with midi tracks that were exported from n-track… i end up opening the midi track in another application and just saving again - then the mididrum tool works fine… weirdness again…

is anyone else using this or a similar process to achieve individual drum pieces?.. or am i going around my elbow to get to my ass?..

thanks, guys!

isaac