EMU 1616m Buffers Problem - where to set?

I purchased the EMU 1616m about a month ago and am having a real difficult time with it. I’m using the ASIO driver and have the latest version (I’ve checked repeatedly). When I try to set the buffers in nTrack, it has a little message saying that the buffers cannot be set here and must be set via the ASIO driver. However, I am not aware of any place to set the buffer sizes in the ASIO driver.

nTrack defaults to a “custom” setting of 220 for all three settings and I then get a buzz/click during playback and recording when the hard drive is being accessed.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I have really grown to like the simplicity of the nTrack interface compared to other programs,

Thanks,

Shayne

Click on the Hammer icon on n-Track’s Vu meter. You should get a dialog with a button labeled ASIO Control Panel or similar… Remember when using ASIO drivers, the buffer settings in n-Tracks Preferences dialog do not apply.

D

Yeah, I’ve beat the Hammer icon to a pulp. The only thing I can set is the number of channels I’m trying to record and the latency in milliseconds. I have not found any settings for buffers comparable to the setting in nTrack.

Thanks…

Shayne

Not familiar with that sound card but is there any chance if you could look in your drive under program folder and look for an Emu folder. Check in there and see if there are any executable program files for the Emu.

I’m using Presonus Fire box that has a hardware settings program that goes in my system tray. If I left click on it it allows me to change latency and sample rate (likely similar to what you found on the asio control panel) if I right click on it I have an option to set optimize the cards performance for low, medium, and high powered CPU’s. So in essence it adjust the buffers.

I would at least think its worth while having a look.

EDIT: nTrack causes me all kinds of grief doing card setting through it but all is fine if I use the little programs included with the card. After I do set the card how I want I go back to nTrack, it says nothing has changed but it has.

I should have mentioned you could always switch to WDM drivers. You should be able to set your buffers with nTrack with these. I like ASIO drivers better though.

Quote (shayneb @ May 16 2006,22:43)
Yeah, I’ve beat the Hammer icon to a pulp. The only thing I can set is the number of channels I’m trying to record and the latency in milliseconds.

The settings in ms ARE the buffer settings. ASIO is different than WDM in how you set your buffers. ASIO is all set in ms. 100ms = more buffering than 5ms.

On the channel mixer you’ll see the name E-MU ASIO at the top. Click that and then select Playback format. On the new display select Asio settings and then Asio Control Panel. There you can set the buffers in milliseconds. A bit long winded but you get there in the end. Have fun.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I did find the ms. adjustment some time ago, but thought there was also a “buffers” adjustment. I’ll settle in on the ms. tweak and see if I can find the sweetspot.

Thanks again,

Shayne

It’s cool you sorted that out Shayne. Be aware though that your <!–QuoteBegin>

buzz/click during playback and recording when the hard drive is being accessed.
may be caused by a slow poke hard disk. Most laptop hard drives are not exactly screamers. I have found joy using FireWire or USB2.0 hard disks with my laptop. The lappy’s internal drive spins at a lousy 4200rpm and just can’t keep up when playing back anything over 10 tracks or so. I have a little USB2.0 buss powered hard drive that spins at 5400rpm and the same projects playback perfectly using it versus the internal drive.

D

Shayne,
I have a favor to ask.
Once you get that gizmo figured out, would it be possible to get your opinions on it. That card looks pretty interesting to me, I really like the idea of built in VST effects with no CPU load. Thing just looks to good to be true.
Thanks

StuH,
i have the basic Emu card 0404.it has the dsp like you’re asking about.i love the card,the effects sound great.i found i didn’t end up using most of them,mostly the compression sounds good on live input(put in a trim pot ,too),that’s very useful…some of the effect patches are good-but they only work at 44.1, and as soon as i heard this card at 96(32bit float),i gave up the dsp to record and playback at higher resolution.just my 2c

My laptop is a Dell XPS Gen2 with a 2 Mhz Intel processor, a Hitachi 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra video card. I would expect my hardware to up to the task especially when combined with the E-MU 1616m.

It appears that if use the “freeze” tracks feature as much as possible my problems go away…

Thanks for your comments!

Shayne

Shayne, you can go HERE and do the tweaks they recommend to eek every little bit of juice out of your system. I highly recommend you read the whole website. Maybe setup up two hardware profiles for your laptop. One for general use and one for audio work. That way you can disable crap you don’t want or need for DAW work. It’ll save system resources and make your system more robust while working on your music.

D

I agree with Deogenes, I read somewhere that the draphics or video card tend to gobble resources, and the better the card the worse it can get. Another problem with external cards and asio is if you don’t use the hardware removal function on the taskbar when taking the card out, the streaming effect can get a little screwed up.