Emu PowerFX doesnt work with Ntrack Beta

ive been testing out the beta for the last couple of months and i find that i really like it, the only problem is, it doesnt work with the emu powerFX vst plugin. does any one else have this problem. when i go to add an effect it doesnt even list powerFX. ive checked to make sure its not on the “dont display” list and i am sure that its installed in the ntrack vst folder. oh and it works with the non-beta version of ntrack. so either i have to use the official ntrack or i have to live with out powerFX. does anyone know if flavio is working to fix this in the beta? or maybe is something wrong on my end, does anyone have powerFX working with the current beta?

thanks
kevin

I would put a bug report in with Flavio. It is a beta, therefore it is supposed to be buggy. Bug reports are the only way Flavio can know what is wrong so he can fix it.

Quote (kevinkreiser @ Aug. 27 2005,08:53)
ive been testing out the beta for the last couple of months and i find that i really like it, the only problem is, it doesnt work with the emu powerFX vst plugin. does any one else have this problem. when i go to add an effect it doesnt even list powerFX. ive checked to make sure its not on the “dont display” list and i am sure that its installed in the ntrack vst folder. oh and it works with the non-beta version of ntrack. so either i have to use the official ntrack or i have to live with out powerFX. does anyone know if flavio is working to fix this in the beta? or maybe is something wrong on my end, does anyone have powerFX working with the current beta?

thanks
kevin

I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem, PowerFX correctly shows in my list of plug-ins with v4.1. Please try to launch a rescan of VST plugins with the Rescan button in the Effects settings dialog box. Now close and reload n-Track. If the plug-still doesn’t appear please post the content of the VST scan log file that appears clicking on the “Show Scanl log” button in the effects settings dialog box.

Flavio.

ok thanks, ill try it tonight, and let you know what happens.

I just tried EMU PFX with the latest build. It works BUT, CPU went into the RED then fell down to ~67%. It was never this high before with the same song. Usually down around 20% or so.

TG

ok i cleaned the registry and i deleted all the ntrack files i could find on my computer, all i kept were the vst files in the vst folder in the ntrack program directory. then installed the latest beta and the plugin wasnt detected or at least it didnt show up. so have a look at the vst log and let me know what you think it is.

the vst is can be found here: vstdat.log

Th three e-mu DLLs have the same ID - fEoN. Try removing all but one and see if any kick in. They are also in the e-mu subdirectory, which probably shouldn’t have any affect, but might. Move them up directly into vstplugins and see what happens.

Code Sample
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: Scanning c:\program files\fasoft
-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\E-DelayCompensator.DLL
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: Loading c:\program files\fasoft
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: c:\program files\fasoft
-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\E-DelayCompensator.DLLis a VST plug-in
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: Name: E-DelayCompensator
Path: c:\program files\fasoft
Sub path: e-mu
ID: fEoN
Vendor:
Product Name:
Is Instrument: 0
Category: 0
Delay: 0
Number of inputs: 2
Number of outputs: 2

-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\E-Wire.DLL
-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\E-Wire.DLLis a VST plug-in
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: Name: E-Wire
Vendor:
Product Name:
Delay: 3072

-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\EmuPowerFX.dll
-track studio 4\vstplugins\e-mu\EmuPowerFX.dllis a VST plug-in
8/31/2005 11:44:16 PM: Name: EmuPowerFX
Vendor: EMU Systems
Product Name:
Delay: 3072

yeah i noticed that too, but 2 of the 3 work (the least important 2). but ill try it anyway. another intersting thing i just found out is that, when i do a re-scan of the vst plugins, the process vstscan.exe runs indefinitly. which means even when i quit ntrack and all that i can upen up the task manager and see the process stil running, and taking up cpu. maybe this has something to do with it, i dont know…

…and heres the reason why the program doesnt terminate:

its still trying to do something with the powerFX plugin, you can see that i cant delete it so obviously vstscan.exe is accesting it. just to clarify i can delete the others in the directory, so i know that this is the case, its actually choaking on the powerFX dll. again what this means, i dont know…

Kev,

I don’t know what to tell you dude. I just tried the same song again after music practice at church. No reboot or nothing… just started n-Track, deleted SIR from the Aux and added EMU PFX Stereo 'verb. EXACTLY the same I did before. This time the song ran along at ~13% CPU.

WEIRD ???

TG

Well, did you check the permissions? Did they get hosed somehow? Give EVERYONE Full access and see what happens. ??? Bizarre

It looks like vstscan.exe successfully detects the EMU plug-ins but hangs when trying to close and unload EmuPowerFX.dll. That’s strange. Does the same setup work with version 4.0.5? Did you manually move the plug-in folder or the plug-ins have been put there by the Patchmix setup? Try to reinstall patchmix putting the plug-ins in C:\program files\vstplugins (i.e. outside of n-Track’s folder) and add that folder to the list of VST folders.

Flavio.

Quote (kevinkreiser @ Aug. 31 2005,19:29)

I was finally able to reproduce the problem. The next build should fix it.

Thanks,
Flavio.

alright sweet, i really appreciate you working with me on this. i know youre a busy person and i think its really cool that you reply to your users when they are having problems. any comments on what the problem actually was? i am a comp sci graduate so i actually work at a company that programs software, id really be interested to know what the problem was. thanks again, and i cant wait to get the latest build.

kevin

Heh. There ya’ go! Flavio is THE man!

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Sep. 01 2005,09:58)
Heh. There ya’ go! Flavio is THE man!

TG

oh and i just wanted to say i appreciate your help and comments too, thanks for being an active forum member!

Quote (kevinkreiser @ Sep. 01 2005,09:56)
alright sweet, i really appreciate you working with me on this. i know youre a busy person and i think its really cool that you reply to your users when they are having problems. any comments on what the problem actually was? i am a comp sci graduate so i actually work at a company that programs software, id really be interested to know what the problem was. thanks again, and i cant wait to get the latest build.

kevin

It actually was a problem that happened when I first started testing with the Emu plug-ins. It was fixed a few months ago but I added it again in v4.1 when I modified the vst scan process, ironically to make it more reliable. The problem was that the emu dll froze when opened without first initializing COM Windows services. No such requirement exists in the vst plugins standard so technically it was a bug in the emu dll. The first time I fixed it (!) it took me quite a while to figure it out.

Flavio.

wow thats really interesting, i often find my self cursing the day that i bought the emu 0404 for just such reasons, theasio driver isnt that reliable, and sometimes i have to restart because sound stops working on the entire computer. i should have known that they didnt program their effects with the industry standard either. thanks again!