enabling direct monitoring w/ 4.2.1

How to monitor through the Tascam US-122

I record with a Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface and am trying to use the Direct Monitor function on the hardware to eliminate latency. Basically I want to disable input monitoring altogether through my computer’s sound card and directly monitor tracking through my Tascam US-122, and the “direct monitoring” control. So when I am overdubbing tracks I would be able to listen to the other tracks through the headphones plugged into the Tascam and record with no latency. Can anyone help me with configuring N-Track 4.2.1 to support this control?

Is there a button/control in the software that I can push to monitor through the Tascam and bypass going through my computer, or do I just change the output soundcard to the Tascam 122? Here are my input & output functions:

Audio Playback Devices:
ASIO US-122 (16 bit)
ASIO US-122 (24 bit)
MME: SigmaTel Audio (** my computer soundcard)
MME: US-122 Out
MME: Wave Mapper
WDM: SigmaTel Audio
1-WDM: US-122 Out

Audio Recording Devices:
Audio Playback Devices:
ASIO US-122 (16 bit)
ASIO US-122 (24 bit)
MME: SigmaTel Audio (** my computer soundcard)
MME: US-122 Out
MME: Wave Mapper
WDM: SigmaTel Audio
1-WDM: US-122 Out

When I first set-up N-track only MME: Wave Mapper was automatically selected. For recording, which devices do I select on the recording and output sides for Direct Monitoring? Which ones do I select for normal recording through the computer (if I wanted to hear effects when overdubbing). Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks for the help,
R

It shouldn’t matter which you use to record and playback from as there should be a seperate control panel/mixer applet to control monitoring that.

Hmm. RTM pages 17 and 22.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122/US122_Eng.pdf

Thanks Willy - Here is what the Tascam manual says “To enable Direct Monitoring in Cubase VST, open the Audio Control Panel. In the Monitoring section of the window, check ASIO Direct Monitor. (You also need either Record Enable Type or Tape Type monitoring enabled.)” How do I translate these instructions to N-Track Studio? I am unclear on which Input and Output options to select for my recording b/c you can select more than one if you so desire? Do I use only “ASIO US-122” for both recording and playback, or should I also select “MME: US-122” and “MME: Wave Mapper”?

Thanks for the help so far,
R