End of audio sample means end of effects?

This is new; maybe upgrade changes?

So I have a guitar part that lasts 40 seconds. I load it into the song and put on some echo effects real heavy; the echos keep repeating for like 2 minutes beyond the end of the guitar part wave file.
But with the last upgrade, the echos all stop at the end of the wave file (40 sec) … no more cool sounds.
Did I change some preference or something? Does anybody know what I mean?
Thanks!
I’m talking about build 2313 BTW.

Prefrences, stop playback at end of song, uncheck

Yaz

You were probably lucky or the preference for “stop playback at the end of the song” got switched. That’s my guess.

It’s an issue when doing mixdown because the app needs to know when to stop rendering to the mixdown file. If it indeed plays on and on like it will when “stop playback” is disabled, then the resulting wave could get rather large (and useless). There is some way n-Tracks figures out when to end rendering even in that case. It doesn’t always work well, with the symptom being that that last few seconds of the mixdown being cut off.

The workaround is ease. Stick a small audible clip of a wave out past the end of the song. It should be far enough out that if 10 or so seconds of the song is cut off, which includes that clip, you aren’t missing any of the real song. After rendering the mix edit it in a wave editor to get rid of that. This has been an ongoing issue since V2.0.

For most of us that’s not an extra step since we will need external mastering and editing to clean up both ends of the file (count-in, level matching, fade-outs, all the good mastering stuff)

Thanks for the reply guys.
I’ve seen this topic before; but I think I’m talking about something different … maybe not.
I’m refering to a wave file in the middle of the song.
The effects plug-ins used to continue to develop results after the end of the wave but now they stop at the end of the wave file ON THAT PARTICULAR TRACK, while the rest of the song and other wave files play on.
So, will unchecking the “stop play back at end of song” preference fix that too?
Thanks!

Nope it won’t. Can you roll back to a previous build?

Yaz

Yaz,
Bummer. It will be easer to just re-record those guitar parts and leave a long silence at the end for the effects on each wave file.
Thanks.

I haven’t encountered that one. Could very well be new.

One thought: I assume this happens when teh effect in is the track’s insert. Does it still happen when that track uses and AUX send to the effect? That will change the code path and will hepl better understand why it’s happening.

Oh…TWO thoughts: Is the effect PRE or POST? I think that’s an AUX send setting only, so never mind. It might be relevant when experimenting with sends.

Sounds like the track is being (auto)muted at the end.

Phoo is right on the wave being muted.

Found it, you have froze the track somehow. Click on the guitar wave to highlight, click track in toolbar, click on freeze, click freeze or un-freeze track. Your echo should keep on keeping on after the wave stops.

Yaz

Sorry to take so long, but this puter is not my DAW, had to go open n and try and figure what was happening with your problem Petros. I hope yer not re-recording the geetar!

The effects do act different when in the track insert as compared to an Aux. That could be it.
Happened to me with an n-Track Tempo Delay plugin used as aux. Sucker kept goin’ after parts were drawn down even.

Mr. Willis, that comes into clicking on pre-post fader settings for the aux channel. I know the freeze track will cut off the delay at the end of the wave you have it on, I just did an experiment to find that, so now I’m gonna go try the aux send to see if it cuts it out.

Are we having fun yet!
:laugh:

Yaz learning something new everyday.
:agree:

EDIT, you know you can fiddle with a piece of software from now til TomS posts a pic and never learn all of it’s abilities. Well, least when yer slow as I am. hehehe

Quote:

Mr. Willis

lol you're a turd you know that?

I'm coitantly having fun - teach me sumpin'.

Well Poppa, my wife calls me worse than a turd, so I can live with that, LOL

OK, you can freeze a wave just by right clicking highlight “Freeze,Bounce”.

If you have a plug on the track itself, the little green square beside the effect in the mixer window, click on it to turn it red and the plug by-passes. If you freeze the wave, the little box turns blue, thus the effect stops when the wave runs out.
Doesn’t work the same on the aux sends, only if plug is on that particular track. Aux sends will let it keep running in case there are more than one track sending to that plug.

Tweaking knobs and learning something new! I love it!

Yaz

Edit, “Momma always taught me to respect my elders!” hehehe

or you can record some silence and conjoin it to the end of the guitar track. i’m glad my build doesn’t do that.

since i seem to be the junior punk around here, i guess i should begin AND end any direct reply to anyone else with ‘sir’. jeez, i’ve been out of the army too long to revert back now.

by the way, i don’t know about you folks but it’s 88 here today and i’m just lovin’ it. spring has sprung!

Did I dream it or did there use to be an option in Prefs to check that was something like “Play FX tails until stop” or similar? I may be thinking of another DAW but I thought that was in n-Track once upon a time?

D

I don’t remember it D (maybe 3.3?), but then again I can’t remember yesterday’s lunch.

Jdet, it does it in build2313 only if you have the wave froze. Otherwise the effect tails play after the wave ends. But if you’re doing something and want the tails to stop abruptly, then it becomes an excellant feature.

What year is this?

Yaz

Quote: (Diogenes @ May 15 2008, 9:54 PM)

Did I dream it or did there use to be an option in Prefs to check that was something like "Play FX tails until stop" or similar? I may be thinking of another DAW but I thought that was in n-Track once upon a time?

D

That's in Reaper
Quote: (vanclan @ May 16 2008, 11:49 AM)

Quote: (Diogenes @ May 15 2008, 9:54 PM)

Did I dream it or did there use to be an option in Prefs to check that was something like "Play FX tails until stop" or similar? I may be thinking of another DAW but I thought that was in n-Track once upon a time?

D

That's in Reaper

Yeah, I know. It was in Sonar too. I thought it was an option in n-Track sometime in the past but obviously I thought wrong! :p

D