Endorphin - no presets??

After some recommendations here, I downloaded the Endorphin compressor. I’ve heard people mention certain presets, which would be a good place for me to start, but there don’t seem to be any. When I click on the drop down box at the top right, all I get is a long list all saying just ‘init’.

Any idea what happened to the presets?

Ta.

Try clicking those ‘inits’ :)

Quote (teryeah @ Mar. 24 2005,04:31)
Try clicking those 'inits' :)

Nothing happens.

Download the newest Ntrack build and you’ll see it. If you are on V3.3 it won’t show.

Quote (silvermachina @ Mar. 24 2005,07:00)
Download the newest Ntrack build and you'll see it. If you are on V3.3 it won't show.

Ah right. In that I case I wont be able to access them yet. I am using 3.3 and I am about 70% the way through recording a CD. There's no way I am going to upgrade N-track whilst everything is stable.

Right, Mutley. I wouldn’t suggest an upgrade in the middle of a project.

Ummm… how can i say this without being condesending? Don’t trust presets, bud. Trust your ears. If you haven’t played with Endorphin enuf to be able to hear how every knob changes the sound, then you’re not ready to use it.

:)

teej

Init #4 is my favorite. It gives the most dramatic volume increase compared to the first three.

Mutley,

Endorphin and the presets work fine with v3.3 - trust me, I am still using 3.3 and use Endorphin fairly regularly.

All the presets do indeed show as “Init”, but in my experience, they all work just the way they should. As ksdb says, preset 4 gives the most dramatic volume increase, but I have found this can be at the expense of some clarity in the sound.

I tend to use preset 3 on the demo recordings that I do to give my band an idea of the vision I have for a song, as this provides greater clarify but less volume punch.

As Teej says though, I know Endorphin well enough to get away with using it on a rough and ready demo, but I wouldn’t dream of letting myself loose on it for an actual CD recording that might be released more publically.

Cheers,
D

That fourth preset is a good way to confirm that the plug-in works and then notice how the settings change from the default setting when it first opens. I usually make a lot of adjustments to the amount of compression and the high and low mix levels. There are several things to adjust and you have to be careful not to overdo it. Some parameters might only show subtle changes while others can be very overpowering. Remember that you need to have a basically clean mix to begin with before you apply Endorphin to the mix.

Right guys. Compression is our friend… but even friends hurt us sometimes. :p

It’s wise for newbies to take time to gain a good working knowledge of what compression is and does. This Tutorial may come in handy.

teej

All the presets do indeed show as "Init", but in my experience, they all work just the way they should. As ksdb says, preset 4 gives the most dramatic volume increase, but I have found this can be at the expense of some clarity in the sound.

IIRC, there was a workaround with 3.3... I think it was to click on the icon to change the name of the preset (a "pencil" icon seems familiar but I've not used 3.3 for some time). This would then show a dialogue with the name of the preset in it.

HTH

Mark

I, too, am using the latest build of 3.3 and the presets do work. They are all listed as init as stated above.