EQ bounce back?

Getting EQ settings on what you hear.

Hi all,

Quick question; I have a hearing difficulty whereby there are certain frequencies/pitches I can’t hear at a given volume. This can, obviously, have implications for mixing a sound that is suitable for normal hearing. What I have discovered is that, in iTunes, there is an equalizer that you can use to ‘straighten’ ones hearing level (I have my own augiograms for each ear), so I can temporarily mixdown the song I am working on and check how it sounds if I had ‘normal’ hearing and then go back into n-track and make any adjustments. This can be a bit of a faff, and also is an overall equalizer and not for each ear.So my question is; Is there some software that can provide some sort of EQ bounce back? In other words, I want to adjust the EQ so that it doesn’t send it to the song file, but send it to the overall output of what I actually hear. Hope this makes sense.

Also, whilst I’m on here, my n-track crashes as soon as CPU gets above say 70% and that can be a real pain if you don’t save a change to file after every single change - anyone else have this problem? Or is this a bug in 4.2.1?? It’s annoying.

You might try this:
Create an eq setting that approximates what you have to change to get the sound “normal”
create a Group and direct all of your tracks to it and put the saved EQ on that.
Do your adjustments and then don’t include the group in the mix dawn.

I have hearing lss, and the only thing that really works is to mix toa good set of studio moniter and listen with my hearing aids in place.
Bax

Just a thought. I’m having to find ways to make monitoring on headphones more productive and predictable because, like many of us, open air listening is too infrequently possible.
Bought a new pair of BD DT100’s and dragged out an old Fostex 4 into 2 desk and started playing around with the EQ specifically for the headphones. The plan is to tune the h/p eq so that the mixes sound ok on other gear.

Quote: (bax3 @ Mar. 06 2011, 3:53 PM)

You might try this:
Create an eq setting that approximates what you have to change to get the sound "normal"
create a Group and direct all of your tracks to it and put the saved EQ on that.
Do your adjustments and then don't include the group in the mix dawn.

I have hearing lss, and the only thing that really works is to mix toa good set of studio moniter and listen with my hearing aids in place.
Bax

Hi Bax3, thanks for that, that sounds like a nifty little idea. I'll have to wait until I get home to see how one creates a 'group' and direct tracks to that(I'm not sure about how to do that).

I found that just applying an N-track Graphic EQ setting(for my ears) master effect worked and then simply bypass it for a mixdown for ‘normal’ hearing! :)