Error opening vst

Hi
I´m new in this forum, but thought I´d give it a try. My problem is this: After I recently upgraded from Win2k to XP my version of N-track has caused me some problems. I can´t seem to install any of my vst plugs. I get the message “Error opening vst scan file” after a few minutes of scanning. If i do anything like clicking on a folder while scanning the program gets stuck and I´ll have to restart. DirectX plugs are fine.
Furthermore I use the M-Audio Mobile Pre, but XP won´t authorise the driver.

Any suggestions?

Wingfish

I had a similar problem. Perhaps you have a corrupt or incompatible (with XP) plugin.

What you need to do is this:

1. Move all your plugins out of the vst folder. Do a scan. It should complete OK.

2. Now start moving plugins back to the VST folder a few at a time. Re-scan each time.

3. Eventually you will come across a move that fails the re-scan. Your faulty plugin is one of those. Move that batch out and then move them back in one at a time until you find the offending plugin.

4. Then go to see if there is an update for it, or (unfortunately) live without it.

5. You may be able to get to the faulty plug by looking at the vst scan log.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Furthermore I use the M-Audio Mobile Pre, but XP won´t authorise the driver.

Do you mean that windows complains that the drive is untested and may cause your machine to melt down, blah, blah, blah? If so, just click OK and continue with the install.

Mark

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you!
That was very helpful. It seems to be working now.

Wingfish

Was it a dodgy plugin? If so, which one?

It was a Rhino vsti demo plugin. Didn´t need it anyhow, but man it has bugged me for a long time!