Error Opening Wave File after punch-in

Error

I have 2 computers this problem occurs on, one using an M-Audio Delta 1010lt and the other using a Creative SB Live! The problem happens in N-Track v4.04 Build 1811(evaluation), v3.2.1 Build 1480, and v2.2.1 Build 1055. The problem seems to only occur when I have a mono track that I want to punch in on from the 2nd(right) channel on the soundcard only - that is, the audio format is “Stereo-2 Mono Tracks”, and the left channel is set to “Don’t Record From This Channel” and the right channel is set to “Record To Track 1”, track one being the mono track I’m trying to punch in. When I select the punch in area and start the punch in, the program records the punch, then I get an error: “C:\Program Files
-Track Studio\New Song_take1r.wav - Error opening wave file”. I then click OK and the punch is inserted into the wave file, but into only part of the original selection. I then have to manually adjust the duration of the punch. The workaround I have for now is to punch using the left channel only when punching 1 channel into a mono track. The problem does not occur when using the left and right channels together punching into 2 mono tracks, or when punching a stereo channel into a stereo track, or a mono channel into a mono track. Also, you’d think I could chose “mono” as the audio format to punch into a mono track, but when using the Delta1010lt with a mono audio format, only the left channel can be recorded. Anyone else having this problem??

Chris

Sounds like you should submit a bug report to Flavio. Someone here might be kind enough to see if they can duplicate the problem.

However, most of us don’t bother with punch-in. For the most part, it’s a holdover from the days of tape and isn’t really necessary or convenient in a DAW where you have virtually unlimited tracks. Instead, just record the punch-in part in another track. Take as many tries as you want, and put the results back together in a variety of ways (e.g., cut/paste, volume evolutions).

Quote (learjeff @ April 13 2005,17:39)
However, most of us don't bother with punch-in. For the most part, it's a holdover from the days of tape and isn't really necessary or convenient in a DAW where you have virtually unlimited tracks. Instead, just record the punch-in part in another track. Take as many tries as you want, and put the results back together in a variety of ways (e.g., cut/paste, volume evolutions).

Which is why you don't hear much about this problem I'm afraid. I have never used punch in with a software multi-tracker. n-Track or otherwise. I used to on my old Tascam out of necessity. (Read: PITA!) Don't need to now thank goodness!! :) :)

TG

I did use punch-in, with the multiple takes option, when I was fairly new to n-Track. It does have its uses. But I happened to be using the left channel, and that was many versions ago, and I didn’t see this problem.

I eventually found that the way that works best for me is to set the time cursor, set to “record to new track”, hit “0” (zero) to record, space to stop, and frequent use of “Ctrl-Z, D, 0” to go again!

When adding tracks to a backing track (especially when collaborating on someone else’s song), I now find that once I have a part in mind, I usually work phrase or section at a time this way. That allows me to play parts to songs I’ve just learned that are more advanced than what I could otherwise do (or else I’d have to practice my part every day for a few weeks first). When I’m done I render all the tracks to make a single consolidated track for simplicity.