Error "Can't save long filename to this directory"

What?

When I record sessions, I record to a Music Temp directory - do a quick edit and the File > Move/Renane the song and wav files into a specifically named directory. Example: song title “This used to Work” saved to Directory E: This used to work.
Today, I was doing this when Windows XP decided that I could not save long file names to the directory I had just created.
I tried to look this error up, but nothing seemed to match the info I found.
Any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Bax

I used to get that with '98SE… I don’t ever remember it with XP… Now I’m on to Vista… and… never did any tracking with that setup yet… It seems to me… I remember only 11 characters was the maximum …

Bill…

Quote: (bax3 @ Sep. 16 2009, 6:12 PM)

When I record sessions, I record to a Music Temp directory - do a quick edit and the File > Move/Renane the song and wav files into a specifically named directory.
Example: song title "This used to Work"
saved to Directory E: This used to work.
Today, I was doing this when Windows XP decided that I could not save long file names to the directory I had just created.
I tried to look this error up, but nothing seemed to match the info I found.
Any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
Thanks,
Bax

I think it's 255 characters is the upper limit, this includes the directory name. This amount must be available on the drive in a continous spot on the drive. If the drive is so fragmentented even though you have plenty on space you can run into this error because the space is not there as a whole. You can fragment your hard drive to see if this is the cause. I would in this case do the following. Provided I havn't installed anything I would do a system restore first to make sure it's not related to an error in the registry which I think it is, then I would defrag.

PACO