Ever have a song...

…that you want to write, but it just won’t write? I’ve got one of those, and it is getting in the way of progress. I usually don’t start with the end product in mind, but in this case I have this general idea for a topic and the feel, but nothing works.

Eat a big burrito supper, nap in the recliner and then before going to bed, grab a copy of Popular Science/Mechanics/Basket Weaving/Necrophilia or whatever and head to the reading room for a break on the throne. It’ll come out then.

D

well, something will come out. might not be a song.

That’d be Earth Shakin’…
:laugh:
:p
:p
:laugh: Do it and then give us a three page report…

Bill…

I have that happen very frequently Tom, just put it aside and wait, best advice I can give.

You can lead a muse to the DAW, but you can’t make it drink . . . . :laugh:

Quote: (john doe's evil twin @ May 21 2009, 11:15 PM)

well, something will come out.
might not be a song.

Maybe that's why my music is crap eh? :laugh:

D

I ‘can’ sit and record but it’s usually not worth recording, so I don’t do it very often any more. I wish I had time. I know my stuff isn’t very good generally, and rarely includes lyrics or vocals, but I find that my best stuff just comes out. If I have to ‘try’ it just doesn’t work.

“I’ve got the song stuck in my head to record.” Well, no, almost never. I wish.

My suggestion? Just hit the record button and record the first thing that seems to be in the direction you’ve got in your head at the time, then build around that, regardless of what it sounds like to you at the early stages.

Ideas build for of ideas. It will eventually morph into something, even if it’s not what you had originally envisioned.

The trick is knowing when to stop. As we all know, it’s never finished.

How’d you know I subscribe to Necro magazine? The neo-retro-necro movement has grown quite a bit in recent years. But I still favor vintage.

Quote:

...that you want to write, but it just won't write? I've got one of those, and it is getting in the way of progress. I usually don't start with the end product in mind, but in this case I have this general idea for a topic and the feel, but nothing works.

Yes.

Musically, I can do what Phoo suggests, but I end up agreeing more with Yaz when it comes to lyrics. Quite often, I’ll come up with one verse I like that doesn’t seem to go anywhere, or a chorus that I can’t seem to find verses for. Other than in a co-write situation, I’ve rarely been able to sit down and write a song on a pre-determined subject. It just has to flow out naturally.

Got my mind blown on some good home grown
And I’m all alone and scared
Cus I feel so free
Psy-comedy

Hope this helps
:)

See ‘Use your brain’ thread

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ May 22 2009, 11:06 AM)

Got my mind blown on some good home grown
And I'm all alone and scared
Cus I feel so free
Psy-comedy

Hope this helps

See 'Use your brain' thread

:laugh:
Quote: (TomS @ May 21 2009, 7:16 PM)

...that you want to write, but it just won't write?
I've got one of those, and it is getting in the way of progress.
I usually don't start with the end product in mind, but in this case I have this general idea for a topic and the feel, but nothing works.

Shouldn't try to force it!
Unless you have a 20lb slug hammer. <---Not a drug reference!
I mean it is good to try things and experiment, but if you have, and it still isn't working. Just put it in a folder for later and forget it for now. You might need that part (if there are any saved riffs) for a more important creation.
Just a penny's worth of who knows what.

I swear I hear a drummer goinn nutz in the distance!
:laugh: The drummer must have been on someones tv in this apt blding.
Because when I stuck my head out the door, nodda! And then when back in the apt, I could faintly hear it again. It's good to know that somewhere out there some drummer is kick'in the helk out of a set of cans!

That was me, Levi. :laugh:

:cool: I should have known! Sounded GOOD!

Yer on sumptin, friend. ???

Eyup!

You may feel happier if you know you are in celebrated company Tom.

Did not Edgar Degas say:

"No art is less spontaneous than mine. What I do is the result of reflection and the study of the great masters."

See, there is no such thing as writers block, only an extended period of reflection and study :)

Steve

Quote: (Beefy Steve @ May 25 2009, 10:56 AM)

See, there is no such thing as writers block, only an extended period of reflection and study

Steve

Yes!

Although I also have parent's block, homeowner's block, wage block, car trouble block, and NHL confernece finals block. Many things blocking the way to the recording space...

:D