Evolution..yet again!  LOL

for distorted power chords, there is nothing better than a Paul, but everybody knows that.

I was trying to get a fat power chord sound out of my line6 amp, using the JCM800 simulation with my tele, it wasn’t working and i was cursing the pretend ‘modelling’ stuff. Then a mate came over and plugged in his Paul, and there it was, the classic sound, or as close to it as no matter.

... Life was pretty darn good. The community here was good.

Then... Someone brought up the whole "creationism vs. evolution" debate.
Come on John - do you really have to bring up all this history again & is your version truly accurate? The fact is the community is still active & thrving. Like all adults knows, no-one is forcing anyone to come to this forum but yet people still do & they contribute.

In an attempt to fix the damage, the "Anything Goes" forum was created, which is mostly nothing more than a soapbox for a few people to rant about stuff.
Is this really accurate? Didn't someone suggest to Flavio to create this forum? Do you think Flavio's judgement was wrong? IMO it was a brilliant move.

The fact is many people, including myself, were happy that this forum was created because it removed OT topics on the main forum, and we were still able to continue to be un-moderated, which everyone seemed to agree was a good idea. Correct?

Love & life are never static, they're always changing & dynamic, just like this & other forums.

Let's argue about Les Pauls vs. Stratocastors or something...
So stop complaining & start the debate! I just got an Epiphone '56 re-issue LP & I think it blows away a any Strat on the face of this earth
:laugh:

Mr Soul

John, where in the world did you find that mouth for eyes picture? :D

Now, about Teles, Strats, and LPs, I think anyone who listens to Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland album will agree that power chords and LP sega-stupid distortion are for people who cannot play very well. And we all know that what a Strat can’t do, a Tele can, so that really the are mutually complimentary and hence each of you deserves to have - nay, is morally obligated to have - one of each.

And that’s not a theory, and no stickers are required. :D

Ali, (nergle)

I’ve been a funky mood, I even retracted a snippy remark yesterday I made on another thread. I embarassed myself. :(

I get frustrated when I hear stories like the one that started this thread. It seems AWFULLY STUPID to me that these issues wind up in the courts. Why can’t people get together and reach amicable solutions to these things. Things like compromise apparently do not exist anymore. It’s always…NO! WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ALL ARE WRONG!! LET’S GO TO COURT!! Amicable compromises are tossed in the dung heap EVERY time when that happens. The ones with the most money for the lawyers win and the decision is forced down the losers throat.

Anyway, the funky mood I’ve been in? I’m afraid I’m becoming one of the things I despise the most. A Christian with no sense of humor. I’m working on it OK?

Apologies to everyone for my mood. I’ll get better. Maybe I should take up booze? Nah…

TG

Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 14 2005,16:30)
Come on John - do you really have to bring up all this history again & is your version truly accurate? The fact is the community is still active & thrving.

As best as I can recall, the history I presented is exactly what happened. I wasn't taking sides, just answering a question.

And yes, there is still an active community here, but there are also a lot of good people that are gone.

[quote=TomS,Jan. 14 2005,18:11][/quote]
<!–QuoteBegin>

John, where in the world did you find that mouth for eyes picture? :D

I don’t recall exactly. I have a habit of saving everything that gives me a good chuckle. It may of come from here:

http://www.worth1000.com/

<!–QuoteBegin>
And we all know that what a Strat can’t do, a Tele can, so that

Led Zeppelin’s “Heartbreaker” would not sound right on a guitar with cheesy little single coil pickups. Humbuckers forever!
:p

Strats vs Pauls vs Teles… such a narrow-minded point of view. Don’t get me wrong, many a good tune were played with these instruments. I played or owned some of the nicest of each of these to ever grace this planet. But these instruments are no more than a piece of wood with strings on it. And they used to be made better than today. And most were still junk back in the day.

If you want a nice Strat, get a early 80s Ibanez Roadstar II (100 series). If you want a nice Les Paul get a current Aria PE Anniversary edition Les Paul. I believe that Fender still makes the best Telecaster although I would probably build my own first and make a much nicer one for less.

Each has it’s own sound and feel. Yeah, you can use a butter knife to turn a screw, but a screwdriver works better and is no good for spreading butter.

Just an old man’s point of view.

Mike

Quote (TomS @ Jan. 14 2005,18:11)
And we all know that what a Strat can't do, a Tele can, so that really the are mutually complimentary and hence each of you deserves to have - nay, is morally obligated to have - one of each.

And that's not a theory, and no stickers are required. :D

OK...I'll take this a step further....

I have:

Epi LP Custom
Fender Strat
Godin LGX III - Sorta Stratish but can do the bridge pickup solo thing without sounding clucky or shattering glass. Great live performance axe. VERSATILE!
Dean Hollowbody

So the only "required" thing missing is a Tele. Gotta get me a Tele and my arsenal will be complete. I feel like each one these guitars is NECESSARY. What say the rest of you axe slingers?

Oh...wait. I need a Goldtop LP with P90's in it. Surely, I say SURELY that is a necessary guitar too!?!?

Me: "Dear? I want to buy another guitar, OK?"
Wife: "Boys! Come downstairs and say goodbye to your father! The ambulance will be picking him up shortly!!"

TG

PS Tom, I like your way of thinking..

Well it’s very hard to put down a man’s axe since in my opinion guitars are like beautiful women that ya make scream and cry (all my guitars are named after ladies) ,but my vote goes for the Pauls over the Fenders, it’s like holding “class” in your hands over “cheapness”.

Quote (nergle @ Jan. 14 2005,18:21)
Now, about Teles, Strats, and LPs, I think anyone who listens to Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album will agree that power chords and LP sega-stupid distortion are for people who cannot play very well. And we all know that what a Strat can't do, a Tele can, so that really the are mutually complimentary and hence each of you deserves to have - nay, is morally obligated to have - one of each. Now, about Teles, Strats, and LPs, I think anyone who listens to Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album will agree that power chords and LP sega-stupid distortion are for people who cannot play very well. And we all know that what a Strat can't do, a Tele can, so that really the are mutually complimentary and hence each of you deserves to have - nay, is morally obligated to have - one of each.

OK, now the topic is in serious danger of becoming fatally provocative! :laugh:

So, before I continue Tom, please tell me that you're casting no nasturtiums on Electric Ladyland!

Criticism of the book of Genesis I'm happy with, challenging of Einstein and Planck I welcome (Heisenberg I'm not sure about), but Electric Ladyland!

Just don't go there Tom! :D

Ali
Nah, the other way around. What Hendrix did with that guitar there is perfection. It also really has little distortion often enough. No way it could be done with a LP. The point is that a LP is for inferior players.

:)
Quote (TomS @ Jan. 15 2005,11:34)
It also really has little distortion often enough. No way it could be done with a LP. The point is that a LP is for inferior players.

:)

SMACK! Ouch! That hurt!

I wouldn't go that far Tom. You hit one point I definitely agree with though. Copious amounts of distortion is often used to cover sloppy playing. I am as guilty as the next guy. I sat down at the DAW one evening with a goal of adding guitar parts to a tune. A couple of different areas with small solos and the main solo. I was determined to do this tune justice with a cleanish SRV/Hendrix type tone. That evening and most of the next day was spent trying to record those parts and make them sound good. Had I slapped some fuzz or distortion on there, a lot of boo-boos woulda been camouflaged.

It is TOUGH to play clean and sound clean when you are as lousy a player as me.

TG
Quote (kymarcus @ Jan. 14 2005,15:16)
actually I could take issue with the Strats and Pauls thing. Teles kick Strats to the kerb. So I think it should be an argument about Teles and Pauls.

Hey I know this is off topic, but I prefer Ibanez,
the hummers rule!

My dad swears by Strats and Tel's. But he plays mostly blues,

I think it was said before, it depends on what kind of music, and sound your goin' for. If I was tryin' to play rockabilly I would use a Gretch hollow body or something equivilant.

Keep shinin' guys more interesting reading on the crapper once again.....

:D

jerm

And more importantly,
It best to have an instrument your comfortable with.
It doesn’t matter how great the instument is if it doesn’t fit you, lenth of your fingers, arm, ect.
Keep the battle of the axes up, guys…tee hee…

TG, just so you know, I have long coveted Ace Frehely’s LP. Just trying to get someone’s goat. :)

Stop being reasonable Jeremy!

Frehely’s Comet! must be we’re the smokes comin’ from…

Rock on, Rock Soldiers! Always wanted to do a remake of that song…stay tuned in the music area, maybe someday I’ll post.

:D